Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Simple Whisper Macro Gone Wrong

I have a Plus subscription (about to renew this week), so I don't have all the fancy API alternatives.  I play D&D 5e and use the OGL sheet My players have 'issues' with remembering to use the syntax of /w gm to whisper me. I'm trying to write a macro I can detail for each character sheet (under Attributes & Abilities) that will allow each of them a one button, on-screen click to active and then fill in the dialogue they want to send to me. I need it to tell me who's sending the message so I can reply to the right person. The macro is titled "Whisper-GM". It is located in the Attributes & Abilities section of the character sheet. It is tailored for each character, so each character gets one that applies only to them. Here's what I've written so far: /w gm From: character-name            (character-name) will be the name of the character sending the message) ?{Dialogue} This only works sort of. Of my 7 player-characters, it works just fine for 4 of them, giving me the name of the character and the message they sent. (To GM):  From: Caylee Paul (GM): Help On three of them, however, it returns an error: No ability was found for %{Katinka|Whisper-GM} Paul (GM): Katinka|Whisper-GM The only seeming link I can find between the three characters is that they are all spell-casters... however, one of the 4 for whom the macro *does* work is an Arcane Trickster Rogue, and thus can do some spells, too. I don't get it. How could such a simple macro go so wrong? What am I missing?
Are you checking this macro while logged in as a player or as GM? If it is while you are a player, do you have Edit and Control access of the Katinka character? On the Katinka character sheet, is the Whisper-GM ability spelled correctly? Upper/lowercase matters, as well as leading/trailing spaces in the ability name. It would be helpful if you cut and pasted the ability name and content of the ability macro -- it looks like the first one you show from Caylee is not formatted correctly and the text is not being whispered. Likely you have a line break in the macro that you're not intending. A screenshot of the Attributes and Ability page might be helpful as well.

Edited 1636053326
Yes, I have Access to, and Control of, all the sheets. I’ve checked using both GM mode and Player mode. The same error pops up the same way, on the same sheets, in either mode. Below are from two sheets. The first works. The second doesn’t (generates the listed error message). Except for the character name, I don’t see any difference. Spacing, spelling, syntax, etc., all look the same. I wrote the original (for Caldera, which works) and then copy-pasted the text of each box into each other character sheet, only detailing the character name to the sheet. I am very confused.   /w gm From: Caldera ?{Dialogue}   /w gm From: Katinka ?{Dialogue} Edit: for some reason the macro name box didn't show up, but believe me the spelling, et al, is the same.
I will share my key below.  I had a version of this that also fed a whisper button back to me but discovered that the players prefer to just type /w gm in the chatbox cause the query field is so small and they usually want to see what they type.  If you want to give this to the players change selected to target or gm /w "@{selected|character_name}" &{template:npcaction} {{rname=Whisper to @{selected|character_name}}} {{description=?{Enter your whisper|default_whisper}}}
Do you have more than one character with the same name? That will cause an issue as the game will try to reference the wrong character sheet.  Double check that you don't have one archived as well.
Jarren said: Do you have more than one character with the same name? That will cause an issue as the game will try to reference the wrong character sheet.  Double check that you don't have one archived as well. No characters of the same name, archived or otherwise, which is another reason for being stumped. As I said, this works for four of the seven characters, but not for the other three. It's a mystery that has me scratching my head and wishing I had a stiff drink to hand.
Well... somehow managed to get it all to work. For some odd reason, this... /w gm From: Caldera ?{Dialogue} works, instead of the  /w gm From: Caldera ?{Dialogue}  that I had originally tried. /shrug I'll take what I can get. Thanks for the help.
Paul F. said: Well... somehow managed to get it all to work. For some odd reason, this... /w gm From: Caldera ?{Dialogue} works, instead of the  /w gm From: Caldera ?{Dialogue}  that I had originally tried. /shrug I'll take what I can get. Thanks for the help. Linebreaks are literal when you aren't wrapping them in a template I think.