Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Handout Links in Character Sheets... forums all outdated

Hello, all the google searching I am doing for how to link a handout in a campaign into a character sheet comes up with pages that are 4-7 years old and their advice doesn't work. Anyone have a response this year about how to make handout links into a character sheet? Typing [Handout Name] is not working. Using Copy Link Address from the External Journal prompts a "Link to External Site?" pop-up I don't want. I just want the handout in the campaign to be linked to a character sheet and its not working as suggested in several forums. I have Pro Roll20 so its not free account issue.  Please advise.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Gamer's Eyrie GM Pro! Where are you putting the link? It will not parse in a character sheet field, only in another handout, bio or gm notes field.

Edited 1660273159
I am putting it into the Bio section on the front of a Character sheet, where all the others in the campaign are. I made the Handout, uploaded an image to it, and trying to link to that handout.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Could you post a screen shot of the referring Bio section in edit mode, and a shot of the handout? Be on the lookout for spaces at the beginning or end of a name, and that the name is spelled correctly. Also, make sure that in the referring handout, there are no invisible formatting characters in the referring link. For example if the name inside the brackets is bold, but the bracket itself is not, the parsing will fail.

Edited 1660275022
I tried it with a different character and it worked. So I went back and made the handout name shorter - from " Iwo Zalarre, Cobalt Operative" to " Iwo Zalarre " (no quotes) and it worked... I think it didn't like the comma. Or maybe there was a text format difference I didn't see, I just deleted the whole line and typed anew. Seems to finally be working now though, thanks for the advice.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Excellent!