Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Bardic Inspiration and Note of Potential

Edited 1676420860
Hi Everyone, I was hoping someone might have some advice for a Bardic Inspiration/Mote of Potential macro. Right now I have a working macro that reminds the player that they have bardic inspiration and the current inspiration die. I also added a drop down menu that displays different Mote of Potential uses based on what the player wants to use the bardic inspiration for (ie, attack, saving throw, ability check). The macro works as intended except that I have to manual input the values for the spell save DC for the attack roll mote and charisma mod for the saving throw mote. I would like to see if I can have these values automatically update based on the character sheet, like it would for a normal feat description. This is my latest attempt using html code, but can't get it to display right: @{Kor Doomspear|wtype}&{template:traits} @{Kor Doomspear|charname_output}{{name=Bardic Inspiration}} {{source=Feat: }}{{description=Kor has inspired you with his Bardic Inspiration. The current die for Bardic Inspiration is a 1d[[{(round(@{Kor Doomspear|base_level}/5+0.5)*2)+4,12}kl1]]. **Note of Potential** ?{Note of Potential|Attack, **Attack Roll.** Immediately after the creature rolls the Bardic Inspiration die to add it to an attack roll against a target, the target and each creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it must succeed on a **Constitution** saving throw against spell save **DC @{Kor Doomspear|spell_save_dc} ** or take thunder damage equal to the number rolled on the Bardic Inspiration die.|Ability Check, **Ability Check.** When the creature rolls the Bardic Inspiration die to add it to an ability check, the creature can **roll the Bardic Inspiration die again** and choose which roll to use.|Saving Throw, **Saving Throw.** Immediately after the creature rolls the Bardic Inspiration die and adds it to a saving throw, the creature gains **temporary hit points** equal to the number rolled on **the Bardic Inspiration die** plus ** @{Kor Doomspear|charisma_mod} **.}}} I bolded the areas where I am having issues with the code. Sorry I didn't save it as code here since it would not display the html code. Any ideas?

Edited 1676393150
Gauss
Forum Champion
Sneako said: Hi Everyone, I was hoping someone might have some advice for a Note of Inspiration macro. Right now I have a working macro that reminds the player that they have bardic inspiration and the current inspiration die. I also added a drop down menu that displays different Note of Potential uses based on what the player wants to use the bardic inspiration for (ie, attack, saving throw, ability check). The macro works as intended except that I have to manual input the values for the spell save DC for the attack roll mote and charisma mod for the saving throw mote. I would like to see if I can have these values automatically update based on the character sheet, like it would for a normal feat description. This is my latest attempt using html code, but can't get it to display right: @{Kor Doomspear|wtype}&amp;{template:traits} @{Kor Doomspear|charname_output}{{name=Bardic Inspiration}} {{source=Feat: }}{{description=Kor has inspired you with his Bardic Inspiration. The current die for Bardic Inspiration is a 1d[[{(round(@{Kor Doomspear|base_level}/5+0.5)*2)+4,12}kl1]]. **Note of Potential** ?{Note of Potential|Attack, **Attack Roll.** Immediately after the creature rolls the Bardic Inspiration die to add it to an attack roll against a target&amp;#44; the target and each creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it must succeed on a **Constitution** saving throw against spell save **DC @&amp;#123;Kor Doomspear&amp;#124;spell&amp;#95;save&amp;#95;dc&amp;#125; ** or take thunder damage equal to the number rolled on the Bardic Inspiration die.|Ability Check, **Ability Check.** When the creature rolls the Bardic Inspiration die to add it to an ability check&amp;#44; the creature can **roll the Bardic Inspiration die again** and choose which roll to use.|Saving Throw, **Saving Throw.** Immediately after the creature rolls the Bardic Inspiration die and adds it to a saving throw&amp;#44; the creature gains **temporary hit points** equal to the number rolled on **the Bardic Inspiration die** plus ** @&amp;#123;Kor Doomspear&amp;#124;charisma&amp;#95;mod&amp;#125; **.}}} I bolded the areas where I am having issues with the code. Sorry I didn't save it as code here since it would not display the html code. Any ideas? Don't use HTML entities for attributes. Not even in nested queries. :) <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros#Advanced_Usage_for_Roll_Queries" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros#Advanced_Usage_for_Roll_Queries</a> Scroll down to the part where it says " Roll Query Troubleshooting: NEVER REPLACE ATTRIBUTES "

Edited 1676420802
Nice, thanks a lot Gauss! For anyone who cares, working code is as follows (changed the character name to Kor to make is easier) @{Kor|wtype}&amp;{template:traits} @{Kor|charname_output}{{name=Bardic Inspiration}} {{source=Feat: Class}}{{description=Kor has inspired you with his Bardic Inspiration. The current die for Bardic Inspiration is a **1d[[{(round(@{Kor|base_level}/5+0.5)*2)+4,12}kl1]]**. **Roll=**[[1d[[{(round(@{Kor|base_level}/5+0.5)*2)+4,12}kl1]]]] **Mote of Potential** In addition, an additional effect will apply based on whether you are using the die for an Attack Roll, Ability Check, or Saving Throw: ?{Mote of Potential|Attack, **Attack Roll.** Immediately after the creature rolls the Bardic Inspiration die to add it to an attack roll against a target&amp;#44; **the target and each creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet** of it must succeed on a **Constitution saving throw** against spell save **DC @{Kor|spell_save_dc}** or **take thunder damage equal to the number rolled on the Bardic Inspiration die**.|Ability Check, **Ability Check.** When the creature rolls the Bardic Inspiration die to add it to an ability check&amp;#44; the creature can **roll the Bardic Inspiration die again** and choose which roll to use. **Second Roll=&amp;#91;&amp;#91;&amp;#91;1d&amp;#91;&amp;#91;&amp;#123;&amp;#40;round&amp;#40;@{Kor|base_level}&amp;#47;5+0.5&amp;#41;&amp;#42;2&amp;#41;+4&amp;#44;12&amp;#125;kl1&amp;#93;&amp;#93;&amp;#93;&amp;#93;&amp;#93;**|Saving Throw, **Saving Throw.** Immediately after the creature rolls the Bardic Inspiration die and adds it to a saving throw&amp;#44; the creature gains **temporary hit points** equal to the number rolled on **the Bardic Inspiration die + @{Kor|charisma_mod}**.}}}

Edited 1676503385
Sorry to necro my own post, but thought of a few adjustments that people might find more helpful. I found that creating a new feat&nbsp; (I named mine "Bardic Inspiration (Roll)")&nbsp; on the character sheet and dropping the updated code I included below into the description is a lot cleaner than a macro. Namely all of the PCs can add the feat (changing "Kor" to the bard's name) and press the feat's chat bubble (or drag the chat bubble to the bottom of the character sheet to create a hotkey) to run the roll query and autoroll the bardic inspiration die/mote of potential for themselves. P.S.: One additional caveat is that the code assumes that the bard's first level is in bard. So if the player is multiclassing a bard, anywhere the code has "base_level" it would have to be changed to the appropriate multiclass for the bard levels (ie, " multiclass1_lvl"). P.P.S.: The second roll for the mote of potential for Ability Checks works, but I had to add an additional bracket at the beginning and at the end (see " &amp;#91;" and " &amp;#93;") in order for it to work. The only issue is that the second roll is displayed in brackets. If someone knows how to get this to work without having to add the additional left and right brackets, I would greatly appreciate it. Kor has inspired you with his Bardic Inspiration. The current die for Bardic Inspiration is a **1d[[{(round(@{Kor|base_level}/5+0.5)*2)+4,12}kl1]]**. **Roll=**[[1d[[{(round(@{Kor|base_level}/5+0.5)*2)+4,12}kl1]]]] **Mote of Potential** In addition to the effect of Bardic Inspiration, an additional effect will apply based on whether you are using the die for an Attack Roll, Ability Check, or Saving Throw: ?{Mote of Potential|Attack, **Attack Roll.** Immediately after the creature rolls the Bardic Inspiration die to add it to an attack roll against a target&amp;#44; **the target and each creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet** of it must succeed on a **Constitution saving throw** against spell save **DC @{Kor|spell_save_dc}** or **take thunder damage equal to the number rolled on the Bardic Inspiration die**.|Ability Check, **Ability Check.** When the creature rolls the Bardic Inspiration die to add it to an ability check&amp;#44; the creature can **roll the Bardic Inspiration die again** and choose which roll to use. **Second Roll=&amp;#91;&amp;#91;&amp;#91;1d&amp;#91;&amp;#91;&amp;#123;&amp;#40;round&amp;#40;@{Kor|base_level}&amp;#47;5+0.5&amp;#41;&amp;#42;2&amp;#41;+4&amp;#44;12&amp;#125;kl1&amp;#93;&amp;#93;&amp;#93;&amp;#93;&amp;#93;**|Saving Throw, **Saving Throw.** Immediately after the creature rolls the Bardic Inspiration die and adds it to a saving throw&amp;#44; the creature gains **temporary hit points** equal to the number rolled on **the Bardic Inspiration die + @{Kor|charisma_mod}**.}