Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macro to post text snippets to chat in order

Pretty new to doing things with macros in game, but I'd like to make my DMing easier for an upcoming section. I have a location coming up where I need to be able to dole out a series of 30 or so snippets of text/lore in a specific order, and I was wondering if there was a way to do this with macros/rollable tables somehow where they post to text chat all nicely. It would be great not to have to copy/paste them all individually when the players recieve them. Thanks!
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
What you're asking for is not the kind of thing Roll20 is good at. Since you are Pro subscriber, you could do this with a custom script. Look into ScriptCards. You could create your text snippets in a table, and the script would print them in whatever ordered you want. You can't do this without a Mod Script. The best you can do there is write individual macros to print out each text snippet, or create a query asking which text snippet to print and include each snippet in the macro (and hope your snippet doesn't include commas).
There's a few options for this in this thread : Google Sheets version (no Mod script required) Handout version (custom Mod script) Mule version (script with Mule character - most complex but also has the most functionality)
Thanks both of you! I'll definitely look into these options, they look very promising!
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I see they are all form the same thread, Jarren - one that I posted in but completely forgot about. I'm glad you remembered :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Super simple version, provided there are no paragraphs to contend with: Just use buttons. Make a handout. In the handout have text saying: I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.  Select each in turn and click the link to make them a button. In the link, just use the selected text, but put a back tick in front of it. It's super quick, since the selected text pre-fills the link field Text:  I must not fear. Link: ` I must not fear. Save the handout. When you click the link, but text will be sent to chat. You can get more elaborate with this with queries and whispers, but that's the gist.
Ended up using Jarren's Google Sheets version (tweaked to export some blurbs for the dropdown), and I'm very pleased with the outcome. :D Thanks for the great ideas and all the help everyone!