Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Font size in Journal entries (pasting from Word)

Edited 1703621937
Domigorgon
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I prepare my Journal entries as separate Word documents, and then copy-paste them. I am using the latest version of MS Office on Windows 10, and my default browser is Firefox. Now, I do keep each Journal entry as a separate document, but I always use the same default settings: Arial size 12, without any fancy Word effects. What happens is: the Roll20 journals do not accept the Arial 12 font and automatically change it to Arial 10 (or so it seems). Sometimes. About half the time. I tried to see what would happen if I changed the font in Word to 14, maybe then Roll20 would change it to 12? Nope! It changed it to 16! I have slight OCD, and this is a really annoying problem to have. I have seen people complaining about text formatting here in the forums some 11 years ago. :( But maybe there's a workaround I haven't thought of yet. Any ideas? Side note: one thing I have discovered is that if I paste a text from Notepad (which has no formatting whatsoever), the Roll20 seems to default to that Arial 10 size I mentioned earlier.   Arial size 10 Arial size 12 Arial size 14 Edit: I copy-pasted this whole text from Word just to see if font sizes would be affected. They are, unlike in Journal entries.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Domigorgon! The fundamental problem here is that you are pasting RTF (Word) text into an HTML (browser) editor. Some translations need to be made, which is exacerbated by a number of factors: font availability, style sheet definitions, browser settings, dark mode settings, and more. Pasting from Word is never going to get you perfect compatibility. Even if you were to paste from the web version of Word, the basic incompatibility remains. You are going to get inconsistent and unexpected results. Even if Roll20 were to go to the effort of ensuring compatibility with Word text, you would be left with the problem of compatibility with other sources, for example, Google Docs, The best choice is to clean paste your text (Shift-Ctrl-V) and format in Roll20. Doing so will guarantee compatibility with your players, and respect for Dark mode.
Domigorgon
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I seem to have found a workaround. I select the whole text and copy it in Word; I then paste it in WordPad, and then again I copy it from WordPad and paste it back into Word. Now, when I copy it from Word and into Roll20, the fonts seem to function normally. For now. I hope this information is of help to anyone encountering the same problem, but that seems to settle the problem for now (unless I am prematurely celebrating)...
Domigorgon
Plus
Marketplace Creator
LOL, nope. Spoke too soon. It worked once! But now I'm wondering what it was I actually did... there must be something in the Font options that triggers this strange behaviour. Another thing I'm getting now is "spaces after paragraphs", even though they are DEFINITIVELY turned off in Word...