Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

FX effects shortcuts?

I want to use the FX effects in my game to enhance the roleplaying experience but it's kind of a pain to use them. I have to use the drop-down menu, then scroll to the effect I want to use, then click the map to use the effect. By the time I've done all this, the excitement of the effects is lost. It's like waiting to see a dragon's breath weapon 30 seconds after it breathes. Are there any shortcuts/methods to make using the effects easier/quicker?

Edited 1720465194
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi 'Z',  You can use the fx command, embedding it in your attack macros. Fx tool wiki   Fx command wiki
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Note that fx timing can often be pretty unpredictable when implemented through macros or even mod scripts. 80% of the time they work every time ;) but you may run into cases where nothing happens and then a while later (up to a couple minutes even?) suddenly a ton of fx fire off all at once. YMMV.

Edited 1720484031
Gold
Forum Champion
These work well on a token that is Selected, therefore make them as a Token Action macro that can only be clicked when a token is selected. These are fx that don't require a Target other than the selected token, which is nice. (Doesn't work for directional beam ones like dragon breath). /fx beam-fire @{selected|token_id} /fx bubbling-blood @{selected|token_id} @{selected|token_id} You can also do this, /fx beam-fire @{selected|token_id} I'm on fire!  /fx bubbling-blood @{selected|token_id} @{selected|token_id} I'm bleeding! 喝 You can add emoji in Roll20 chat (the flame emoji, the blood emoji). Seems like the emotes are not showing up in forum code format. 
So is there a way to use like a drop-down menu to choose which effect you want to use? also, how would I add the FX macro to pre-existing compendium creatures?