Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Showing Tooltips on the Default Tokens

Score + 21
Hello everyone! I'm Buck, and roll20 has been my preferred medium of D&D for my entire time as a player. I have been a casual and professional DM, run in and played several campaigns, and run a long-running oneshot server. In all of this time, I have always been very happy with the site, but I have just encountered something that I find strange; the inability to set tooltips to be shown on default tokens. I have never really seen tooltips be utilized, which is quite a shame, as they are a very potentially useful feature. Recently, I created an expansion on 5e's armor, weapons, and spells that incentivizes counters and knowledge of your opponents. My idea was to have the armor and equipment of all enemies in this game visible via tooltips: "This knight has splint armor and a greatsword, maybe I can use a hammer against the armor or a spear to gain an advantage over the sword". The thing is, while I can save these tooltips for the enemies I design, setting them to be visible does not save on the default token. This creates a strange situation where I will need to go into each token I put on the map and set their tooltips to show one by one, which will certainly break the game flow and split my focus. My suggestion is theoretically very simple: Give the ability to set tooltips to "show" on default tokens . As is, this seems like a feature that was left on the cutting room floor, but I see fantastic potential here. I am planning to use it as part of the core gameplay loop in a campaign I'm running soon, and I would love this small quality of life improvement. I think that more DMs could also benefit from it more, maybe even with some sort of email or information video sent out showing people how to use it and more potential uses. To get the ball rolling, here are some potential uses I could think of: List enemy equipment such as armor, weapons, and items. List enemy types. Would it not be easier for player strategy if enemy types like Undead said so on their tooltip? Track affiliations. I have been in a few political games that got confusing with so many tokens on the map at social events and dinner parties, but imagine if you could check what country each ambassador represented by hovering over their token. Descriptions of auras, such as a paladin's aura of protection or a pit fiend's fear aura. In a more social game, one could even use tooltips to easily track each NPC's opinion of the party, their social interactions increasing or decreasing favor. I'm sure that there are plenty of other things that I am missing. Feel free to throw any other ideas into the responses, and drop a vote if you can and you would like to see this feature get the chance it deserves (and bonus points if you also want to make my life a little easier and give my players a better time in this game). Thanks for reading, I appreciate you :)
This seems like a really smart and beneficial idea for all involved!
Seems like a fun addition that would make more complicated interactions accessible. 
I'm all for anything that will convince my players to finally read.
The alternative is to just use the bio in the character sheet, but that is too many button clicks away. And the added clutter of all those open windows would be annoying at best and laggy at worst.
This seems like something roll20 needs!
This seems like a good idea. If implemented, I think there would be a noted improvement to the player experience. As Permalink mentioned, the only way to get a similar effect is using bios, which I have done before. I like this.
Would be very useful.
What the heck this is a great idea

Edited 1720229647
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Do I understand you to want the contents of the Tooltip to be shown when the default token is dragged to the Map?  Because we can already do this. I do it for all my 13th Age monsters so everyone can see their defenses to speed play.  Open the Character Sheet Click the Edit button  Click the Edit Token Properties button  Click the Show checkbox  Click the Save Settings button  Click the Save Changes button  Sadly, updating the default token will reset the Show checkbox. I think this is an oversight from the hasty implementation of Tooltips. 
Andrew R. said: Do I understand you to want the contents of the Tooltip to be shown when the default token is dragged to the Map?  Because we can already do this. I do it for all my 13th Age monsters so everyone can see their defenses to speed play.  Open the Character Sheet Click the Edit button  Click the Edit Token Properties button  Click the Show checkbox  Click the Save Settings button  Click the Save Changes button  Sadly, updating the default token will reset the Show checkbox. I think this is an oversight from the hasty implementation of Tooltips.  Well, look at that! You, sir, have solved my problem and I appreciate you greatly. Still, it's very strange that it resets upon updating, and it's also quite wonky that you cannot select a token to show and set that as the default. I would still love to see this updated so that other DMs without specific guidance who are looking to use the feature won't be discouraged like I almost was. A little grease and these wheels might actually get spinning, who knows?
i love reading tooltips, roll20 needs this
I wouldn't have thought of this on my own, but I would love to see this implemented. It would quickly become one of my most used features
I would also like tooltips to get some attention like this. But I'd also like the choice to make tooltips visible to only me.