Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Interactive World Map with Region and Battle map Integration and Handouts.

Score + 12
HollowFiend
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Hi everyone, I’m looking to create a more immersive experience for my players on Roll20 by adding a feature that seems to be lacking in the current worldbuilding tools: interactive points of interest on a world map. Here's what I'm envisioning: World Map Overview : Players start with an overview of the world map, with markers indicating key locations like cities, towns, or landmarks. Zoom-In Functionality : When a player clicks on a city marker, the map transitions to a detailed view of that city, showing streets, important buildings, and perhaps even districts. Deep Dive into Locations : Going even further, clicking on specific buildings within the city (e.g., a shop or tavern) could bring up additional content, such as the shop’s inventory, an NPC's details, or a battlemap for encounters. The main idea is to have fully interactive points of interest that can display additional maps or relevant content when clicked. This would greatly enhance the worldbuilding aspect of campaigns on Roll20, offering players a more dynamic and engaging way to explore the world. I feel this type of feature could add a lot to the storytelling and gameplay experience. Is anyone else interested in something like this? What do you think?
I don't think this is going to happen any time soon... Roll20 is no Video Game but just a VTT. You cannot even upload WORKING animated Maps (which would be the base for your suggestion)...
Gold
Forum Champion
I think most of this can be achieved now, with API Mod scripts, for a PRO subscriber. Sure I'll vote +1 that these features could be enhanced and offered for free on default Roll20.  Built-in Roll20 already, we have Tooltips, which can be used for Clicking on a Shop and bring up it's inventory. However the tooltips area is limited since it only fits a certain amount of text and doesn't show formatting, just plain text.  Map-Change is available in a few API Mod Scripts, while it doesn't have an animated zoom-in effect, it can be used to transition players from the City Map (shows the Shop building) to move the players (upon GM or players clicking it) move them to the inside-shop map. This method fits bullet-point 1 and 2 of the OP. 

Edited 1723631335
HollowFiend
Pro
Marketplace Creator
TheMarkus1204 said: I don't think this is going to happen any time soon... Roll20 is no Video Game but just a VTT. You cannot even upload WORKING animated Maps (which would be the base for your suggestion)... I understand. But if there are enough votes following this they can start looking into fixing some of the limitations instead of needing API Mod scripts&nbsp;etc.&nbsp; Wanna be able to something like this: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUmk0SxsiIA" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUmk0SxsiIA</a> Gold said: I think most of this can be achieved now, with API Mod scripts, for a PRO subscriber. Sure I'll vote +1 that these features could be enhanced and offered for free on default Roll20.&nbsp; Built-in Roll20 already, we have Tooltips, which can be used for Clicking on a Shop and bring up it's inventory. However the tooltips area is limited since it only fits a certain amount of text and doesn't show formatting, just plain text.&nbsp; Map-Change is available in a few API Mod Scripts, while it doesn't have an animated zoom-in effect, it can be used to transition players from the City Map (shows the Shop building) to move the players (upon GM or players clicking it) move them to the inside-shop map. This method fits bullet-point 1 and 2 of the OP.&nbsp; Hi Gold. As for most can be achieved now i get there are API Mod Scripts but it could be easier using something that comes with the default Roll20 setup as in foundryVTT you can set triggers with actions. And yeah it is already all there the show all players button on handouts&nbsp; / and API Mod Script for map navigation i just want it to be something worked into tools we have maby like right press on a icon add a trigger and action on that icon boom. Thank you both for feedback!
I believe that you can currently do this with the Teleport API Mod though it would require the players to move their Token to where the teleporter pad is.
HollowFiend said: &nbsp;understand. But if there are enough votes following this they can start looking into fixing some of the limitations instead of needing API Mod scripts&nbsp;etc.&nbsp; Wanna be able to something like this: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUmk0SxsiIA" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUmk0SxsiIA</a> I have never played on Foundry (where that video is from) so not 100%, but a huge difference is Roll20 is hosted by roll20, whereas Foundry is hosted by you the client (or you pay for a service elsewhere I believe).&nbsp; Not saying it would be impossible for Roll20 (as not a programmer or unsure of the capabilities, etc), but asking Roll20 to increase their server load to allow things like this for free users just seems unrealistic to me (considering how many games are run hourly on here).&nbsp; Being able to host your game on your own system sky's the limit if you can program it. Saying that don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have this feature as well, but we would probably get this as a API for pro subs years before it would be available for free members (if ever).&nbsp; Seeing as you are a pro sub we can hope someone makes a API for it or something similar.