Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Mixed 2014/2024 DnD5e Game Setup & Compendium Requirements

I have just bought the 2024 Players Handbook and tried to setup a new Game based on an older Module. During setup, I've enabled the new 2024 Character Sheet for new Player characters.  As setup suggested, I've also enabled the 2014 Character Sheet which I assume is needed for the module's NPCs, Monsters and potentially old style character Sheets. When it comes to the choice of Compendiums for the Game, I now have 3 choices i.e. 2024 PHB, 2014 PHB & Free Basic Rules 2024?  Do I need to enable all of these compendiums and if so will will overlaps potentially create some confusion or conflict for the Players setting up or levelling  upnew characters?  Alternatively, does the new 2024 PHB alone suffice to provide all the necessary in game  reference material and  functionality  for new and legacy characters, NPCs and monsters  such as charactermancer options,  drag and drop capability etc. ? Apols if I've posted in the wrong area, Mark.
I've been wondering the same thing and experimenting for solutions. I set my new campaign up in Jumpgate with both character sheets (2024 for players, 2014 for NPCs) as described here:&nbsp; <a href="https://blog.roll20.net/posts/dd-2024-legacy-and-new-character-sheets-unite/#multiplesheets" rel="nofollow">https://blog.roll20.net/posts/dd-2024-legacy-and-new-character-sheets-unite/#multiplesheets</a> Add your 2014 Monster Manual and other NPC sources to the game's Compendiums list and reload the game interface. Next time you drag out a NPC to the tabletop, it asks if you want it to use the 2014 sheet or the 2024 one. Answer 2014 and it behaves as expected.&nbsp;
Very helpful, thanks
On reflection I'm also unclear on what manuals work with which character sheets? Firstly, Can I assume that if you have the PHB enabled (shared) in game setup then you do not the Basic Rule Set enabled too? Also, I can't find a simple compatibility/summary table anywhere e.g.: PHB &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Character Sheet &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; VTT System &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Comments 2014&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2014 Yes&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Legacy or Jumpgate&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Well proven &amp; robust, Charactermancer fully functional 2014&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2024&nbsp;Yes??&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Jumpgate only&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 2024 Sheet still in development, Charactermancer not working&nbsp; 2024&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;2014&nbsp;No??&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Jumpgate only? &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Unclear if 2014 sheet works with 2024 PHB new features &nbsp; 2024&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;2024&nbsp;Yes&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Jumpgate only &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2024&nbsp;&nbsp; Sheet still in development, Charactermancer not working 2024&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Both 2014 &amp; 2024&nbsp;Yes&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Jumpgate only &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;2024&nbsp; Sheet still in development, Charactermancer not working I'm sure this could be organised more clearly and is only my current understanding for Characters only.&nbsp; It also needs to be expanded to cover compatibilities for Monsters &amp; NPC from sources such e.g. Monster manuals and dungeons old and new. Any corrections to my table or thoughts on expansion and better presentation welcome.&nbsp;

Edited 1728440665
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Mark,&nbsp; Here are my corrections. (Bold and strikethrough, comments replaced :) PHB &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Character Sheet &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; VTT System &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Comments 2014&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2014 Yes&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Legacy or Jumpgate&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Correct 2014&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2024&nbsp;Yes&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Legacy or &nbsp;Jumpgate only &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; This is not Jumpgate only, it works in Legacy 2024&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;2014&nbsp; No (??) &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Jumpgate only? &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Definitely no, unless copy/pasting :)&nbsp; 2024&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;2024&nbsp;Yes&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; Legacy or &nbsp; Jumpgate &nbsp; only &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;This is not Jumpgate only, it works in Legacy 2024&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Both 2014 &amp; 2024&nbsp;Yes&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; Jumpgate only &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; Correct
Thanks