Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Allow GM to View Player Created Macros

I would like to suggest allowing a GM to view player created macros. At the moment, from what I'm aware, a GM can only view these if they are created in specific sections of the character sheet or if the GM creates the macros him/herself and shares globally. To be more specific I run D&D 5e so it would be the "Class Actions/Macros" section on the "Class" tab of the 5e Character Sheet. If a player creates a macro in their macro section to add their own flair, role play, etc I can't see it to proofread their formulas. Maybe they could be added to the "Attributes & Abilities" tab or just make a new "Macros" tab on each character's entry on the "Journal"?
As I understand it the macros section is for things that might apply to more than one character or to no character at all(that would be rare), so having them show up on the players character sheets would be kinda odd. It would be nice to have a way to view the players macros to help them figure out what is wrong with it though. Maybe just something like the gm already has to choose who can see them? Or just the ability to make them visible to the GM....
Roger A. said: As I understand it the macros section is for things that might apply to more than one character or to no character at all(that would be rare), so having them show up on the players character sheets would be kinda odd. It would be nice to have a way to view the players macros to help them figure out what is wrong with it though. Maybe just something like the gm already has to choose who can see them? Or just the ability to make them visible to the GM.... Yes, on the GM side the macro section is for that. Some of my players like to make their own macros so they can add role play flair and emotes to them though. They also want to make their own is because they want them on their macro bars. Even if I force them to use the character sheet to add their macros they won't be able to put them on their macro bars. Yes, I know that Abilities, Skills and Weapon Attack/Damage can be drag and dropped from the character sheet to the macro bar, but it does not work for custom macros on the "Class Actions/Macros" section or the "Spell Book" section. I'd hate to have to force my players to only use the macros I create just so I can double-check the formulas on them. Plus this would create a ton of work for myself when I'm limited on time and could be delegated to the players. Another reason for allowing a GM to view the player's macros is to check the math before a game session. I can hover over the inline roll, but this takes away from game time especially if I have to look something up. I'm not so much worried about people cheating as I am people making simple mistakes from ignorance to the rules. Since I'm running a fairly new system, D&D 5e, even the veterans make mistakes due to incorporating rules from previous editions or misunderstanding how the new rules work.
Players can add macros from a character sheet to their macro bar (at the bottom) and/or their token action bar (at the top).
Not from 5e character sheets. Like I said, the only thing they can drag to their macro bars are abilities, skills, weapon attacks and damage. That is it. Maybe this is the flaw that needs exposure. Can 3.5 and PF char sheet spell book macros be dragged and dropped? If so it is a weakness in the character sheet itself and not roll20.
I think you cannot drag spells to the macro bar because they're part of a repeating section. A weakness of the way character sheets generally work.
HoneyBadger said: I think you cannot drag spells to the macro bar because they're part of a repeating section. A weakness of the way character sheets generally work. WEll... there we go. So this is a character sheet weakness? I'm thinking of going Mentor at the first of the year, but I don't know what language is used. I'm only versed in so many. So if I upgrade to Mentor can I fix this issue with code of my own? OR is this an issue that the creator of the 5e character sheets is going to have to fix on his/her own?

Edited 1420060691
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
It's a repeatable item problem. Please post some comments and/or a vote to the suggestion Official support for repeating sections in character sheets
They can write their macros as abilities in the attributes and abilities tab the same way they would if they were making macros in the settings tab, and they can check the box that says show in macro bar to have them show up there. The only difference is the name on the button will be a lot longer because it will show up as Charactername|abilityname. The Roll20 API uses javascript for programming, but I don't think it can let you do anything about adding rolls from a repeating section to your macro bar. As a mentor you could modify the html of the sheet to make a custom version, and instead of doing it as a repeating section you could just have several dozen entries on the sheet by default, but that gets ugly and awkward really quick.
Vince said: It's a repeatable item problem. Please post some comments and/or a vote to the suggestion Official support for repeating sections in character sheets Thanks. Added my vote.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
No. Thank you. :-)
Three years.
[Deleted]
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .