Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Hexes are the Wrong Size

Hi, I decided to try to figure out hex grids on roll20, and I've discovered that they are displayed at incorrect sizes. Taking a screenshot of the hex grid (v) at default size, I extracted a section that was 20 hexes wide, cutting down the center of the lines. This segment was 1504 pixels wide, showing that the hexes aren't a consistent size (about 75.2 pixels across, which is somewhat insane). I tried restoring them to a width of 70 pixels by setting the grid size to 70/75.2, which is about 0.93085106. I put in 0.9308 (but after some experimentation, I found 0.93086 to be more accurate). With this setting, the hexes line up consistently to pixels, and are all 70 pixels across. But here's something impressive: With this setting, roll20 shows me EXACTLY as many hexes as I set the units on the page to. 10 units wide is 10 hexes wide exactly, 24 units wide is 24 hexes wide exactly. Roll20 THINKS that one unit, even for hexes, is 70 pixels, even though it doesn't natively display hexes that size. With the grid set to Hex (V) at a size of 0.93086 units so it's actually 70 across, making a tiling hex image that properly fits it is still difficult, given the strange proportions of a hex. I made a template that should have tiled properly, but the proportion of the width of the tile to the height is 0.5625, so the height should be 124.4 repeating (impossible of course), so I aimed for 124.5 by making it double size. Here is the tile I ended up with. Tile that to the size you need, then halve the size. A map made in that fashion will line up perfectly horizontally, and almost perfectly vertically to a Hex (V) grid (past about 40 units tall it starts to become misaligned but I don't even care any more, making it 124.4 repeating pixels tall is impossible no matter the size you start with). If the standard unit on roll20 was ACTUALLY 72 pixels, the height would be 128 pixels exactly. Yet another reason the 70 pixel unit size is incredibly inconvenient, but that's a whole other bag of dire rats. It would also be useful if larger images snapped to multiple hexes, but fixing the size of the hex grid is significantly more important Long story short: hexes aren't actually 1 unit across (70 pixels) but hexes will never work perfectly unless 1 unit is a more friendly number like 72 pixels.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I seem to recall reading about this issue with hex scaling, which would make it a known issue, but I'm not certain where I read that, so I can't say for certain. David L. said: I tried restoring them to a width of 70 pixels by setting the grid size to 70/75.2, which is about 0.93085106. I put in 0.9308 (but after some experimentation, I found 0.93086 to be more accurate). With this setting, the hexes line up consistently to pixels, and are all 70 pixels across. But here's something impressive: With this setting, roll20 shows me EXACTLY as many hexes as I set the units on the page to. 10 units wide is 10 hexes wide exactly, 24 units wide is 24 hexes wide exactly. Roll20 THINKS that one unit, even for hexes, is 70 pixels, even though it doesn't natively display hexes that size. Yes, that's correct. 1 unit = 70 "pixels," period. I say "pixels" with scare quotes because that's how Roll20 treats the grid no matter what zoom level you're at, so that's not necessarily the actual pixels on your computer monitor. (Also, 1 unit is not necessarily 1 grid space, as that's a page setting.)
I've complained about the weird ass hex grid pixels before.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
We're aware of the hex grid not giving the desired and transparent behavior. It's something we're working on.
Kevin the Barbarian
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Is this why I can't get hex maps to line up with Roll20's hexes?
Yup.