Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Github "sub-member" and collaborating questions.

vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Github newb here. Why/how do some members show up as "sub-members" on the roll20 repository? Note the names below Actoba. When I first created my github account I forked and cloned the repository and I show up on the member list as expected. Recently I forked another members fork of the repository to help them, I would think this would make me a "sub-member"...? So, what's up with the sub-member list, and finally how should you collaborate with others when working on a sheet(best practice)? Thanks
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Bump.
This is really more of a general Github question than anything specific to us. <a href="https://help.github.com/articles/about-repository-" rel="nofollow">https://help.github.com/articles/about-repository-</a>... It's just a list of everyone who has an open fork of the repository. If you're not showing up it probably just hasn't refreshed the list yet (I think they only update them once every few days or something, but who knows). As far as working with someone else on a sheet, if they have their own fork that they are actively maintaining (like Actoba), then I would fork his fork and send him pull requests directly. If they aren't doing that, then just send a pull request directly to us.

Edited 1425531987
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm sure github seems like second nature to you coder-types. :-) I show up on the list and have since the first time I forked the repository. I was just wondering why some users show up as "branches" off another member? I forked Sam's fork for editing the PF sheet and I've been updating to his fork once he OK's the pull request. Since I wasn't showing up as a "branch" off his name, like those after Actoba's, I thought that I might have done something wrong. I'll dig a little deeper. Thanks Riley.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Those are forks-of-forks. For example, if you click the link to Actoba's fork, you'll see "forked from Roll20/roll20-character-sheets", while if you click the link to ceraetes' fork, you'll see "forked from Actoba/roll20-character-sheets".
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Brian said: Those are forks-of-forks. For example, if you click the link to Actoba's fork, you'll see "forked from Roll20/roll20-character-sheets", while if you click the link to ceraetes' fork, you'll see "forked from Actoba/roll20-character-sheets". That makes perfect sense, and I thought that is what I did. When I choose to fork from Sam ( Thequietcroc/roll20-character-sheets ), the hover says "Fork your own copy of Thequietcroc/roll20-character-sheets to your account" I click to fork, which redirects to the new fork vince-roll20/roll20-character-sheets forked from Roll20/roll20-character-sheets Shouldn't it say "forked from Thequietcroc/roll20-character-sheets"? Thanks for your help Brian.
Nibrodooh
Pro
Sheet Author
forks are always of the inital repository to my understanding. you can think of it like a tree, the main repository is the trunk and branches are the forks. you generly consider a branch growing out of another branch as a branch of the original tree, not of the branch it grew off of. although my git experience is limited so i may be comletely wrong, this was the explanation given to me when i asked for help when i was expected to know how to use git for a class earlier this year.