Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Inconsistent Interaction between Subfolders and Archive button

Weird, inconsistent results when you: Organize your pages into folders and subfolders Archive a page when it's in a subfolder Restore the page later. When I restore the archived page, about half the time it returns to the subfolder where I'd previously stored the page, and the other half of the time it moves to the bottom of the list below (and not in any of) the other folders. Mac OSX 10.10, Firefox 36
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Rolfe, the way the folder structure works is that every time it changes it redoes the background framework. We do this to keep consistency between what you're seeing and what the other players are seeing. This means that an archived item knows where it goes back to up until you change the folder structure. Then the place where it used to go no longer exists, so it drops to the root when you unarchive it. Why not have it always drop to the root then? Because we wanted people who accidentally archived something to be able to put it right back. However, after you've moved folders around this is no longer possible.
Thank you for sharing that insight, Steve. I wish it worked differently. I just wasted an hour organizing over 100 pages, most of which I intend(ed) to archive most sessions. Unless I'm missing something, folders are only useful for organizing things you use every session, not things you don't need tonight but plan to come back to later. If I have 60 monsters, including 12 different types of undead, the only way to group those 12 together is to make sure they all start with the same word. Which is fine if they're generic things like "undead fighter", not so easy if they're named entities like "Ulaire Nertea, Messenger of Dol Guldur" and "Captain Jenkins' Tortured Soul". Several related questions for you: I suppose I could just leave everything un-archived. Roughly how many pages can be non-archived at once before I can expect to see performance issues? What constitutes "changing the folder structure"? Is it just moving folders? Creating folders? Renaming folders? Adding new pages? Archiving other pages? If I just set up my folders once and don't change them again (other than adding new pages and archiving or restoring existing pages), will things still restore to the correct place?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
It depends on what's in the journal entries. If they have lots of data it wouldn't take a huge number to start causing an impact when you load into the game. Though, I suspect you won't have any issues just putting them into a folder organization and collapsing the folders you're not interested in viewing. Changing the folder structure is anything, moving, creating, deleting.
Thank you for the clarification, Steve.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
You could always try using tags, y'know :> Tag all of your undead as 'undead' and then you can filter on that tag, to group them all together.