Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5e Character Sheet XP Issue

I searched and couldn't find an entry for this, but has anyone had issues with xp values in the D&D 5e character sheets reverting back to a previous value? Almost all my players in both campaigns have had this issue and I have had this happen as a player too in other DM's games. It has been going on for several months. One theory is it almost always seems to happen after the sheets get an update, but I have no proof for that. It has been such a problem I've had to keep track of all my player's xp in a spreadsheet. Update: I've been told to look at attributes to see if there are any duplicates. After looking there are no duplicates. I'll just continue to keep track in a spreadsheet.
I have noticed that people closing browsers with character sheets still open, or closed without removing the mouse from the XP field after typing may cause this. It can also happen if the GM and players open it both at the same time and may cause a disparity in the amount, I would suggest you make sure every player closes their sheets normally, check if the value is correct afterwards, close it properly again and leave the game using the "Exit" button at the end of settings.
As a rule I always hit the TAB key after entering anything in a character sheet field just to make sure it takes. Still there is sometimes server lag, and rollbacks, so you always need to check twice.
Speaking of server lag, this seems to happen mostly after sessions played in peak hours. By peak hours I mean the times when it take a while for the server to respond with rolls and such, I would watch out for those times.
Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, I was wondering if it could be them not TABing out of the field to save it. Then again it has happened to me in someone else's game when I did TAB. I'll be sure to make sure my players know this. It may be just that... server lag. It doesn't hurt to have a spreadsheet of the PC's xp anyway. Helps me keep track of bonus xp also.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ah, you deleted your other thread. I was confused for a sec. Ya, not saving fields are tricky. Typically its either the event isn't being called (which tab can help with), or some kind of duplicates in the attributes area. The sheet can't fix the issue. :( Hopefully tabbing will help!
Yeah, I figured since I had it in the wrong thread it was best to delete the old one. Thanks again to everyone's advice.
I'm currently in two separate games and in both I've been having the same issue. Regardless of when I add my xp, tab to another field, etc...after logging in the following week, my xp does not show up correctly. We have to correct the xp at the beginning of each session. This is indeed an issue that the character sheets is not saving xp properly.
The same problem has happened to my sheet a few times, as well. Please resolve as soon as possible. Thank you.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Xp is just like any other field - there is nothing special about it. Maybe dvergr can give some advice if he has worked around it.
Still having issues. I'm suggesting that players keep their Roll20 tabletops open for 5 mins after game session to make sure the data is saved to the servers. Will get back to see if that works. It is not a TAB issue.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Dvergr76 said: I'm suggesting that players keep their Roll20 tabletops open for 5 mins after game session to make sure the data is saved to the servers. Will get back to see if that works. Ya, let us know.