Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

In a barrel!!!

Everything is working with video and voice chat except that people listening to me say that I sound like I'm speaking from the bottom of a barrel.  Is there anything I can do to make me sound normal?  Nothing I've tried so far has worked.
Sounds like the issue may lie with the quality of your microphone.
Hi  Ken B Have you had trouble with your sound before? Run through the steps on our  Audio Visual Troubleshooting wiki and see if any of those tips help. If you are using a separate microphone (like on a headset) you might check to ensure that your Recording devices are not picking up both your camera and headset mic. 
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ken B, I'm going to guess that the issue is your default device isn't set correctly. I'm going to guess you have a web cam and your microphone is actually set to the webcam and not your mic, which is why it sounds like you're talking from the bottom of a barrel.
I'm running Roll20 on an ASUS Republic of Gamers laptop with Windows 10 and the Google Chrome browser.  The laptop has built in camera and microphone.  My Chrome Settings are:  Microphone (VIA HD Audio) for the microphone.  The video has 2 options:  1) ASUS Virtual Camera and       2) ASUS USB2.0 Webcam (1 bcf:2885).  I have been using #2 so far.  I tried testing with one of my players and got the video working fine but he couldn't hear me at all.  I could hear him fine.  I figure one or both of us doesn't have something set properly but I can't figure out what that is.  I'm thinking that if I can get the settings corrected it will take care of the bottom of barrel issue and the no audio issue.  I have the same problems whether or not the headphones (with built in microphone) are plugged in or not.  Any suggestions on what my settings should be would be greatly appreciated.   
@Ken B, Did you run through the guide Avacyn posted above? If that doesn't help, it might be a specific setting on your computer. Does your webcam and microphone work on Google Hangouts? You might try that to test. I'll see if I can find anything specific for Asus ROG laptops. 
I did run through Avacyn's guide and it didn't help.  Is the guide current?  The part where you Allow or Deny your camera and mic is different that what I see on my computer.  I've never tried Google Hangouts but willing to try it if nothing else works.

Edited 1441308878
Looks like we do need to update the Chrome info for that part. They recently changed it on us! Did you figure out how to do it? You just need to click the lock icon in the top left of the URL bar.

Edited 1441311175
Ken B said: I'm running Roll20 on an ASUS Republic of Gamers laptop with Windows 10 and the Google Chrome browser.  The laptop has built in camera and microphone.  My Chrome Settings are:  Microphone (VIA HD Audio) for the microphone.  The video has 2 options:  1) ASUS Virtual Camera and       2) ASUS USB2.0 Webcam (1 bcf:2885).  I have been using #2 so far.  I tried testing with one of my players and got the video working fine but he couldn't hear me at all.  I could hear him fine.  I figure one or both of us doesn't have something set properly but I can't figure out what that is.  I'm thinking that if I can get the settings corrected it will take care of the bottom of barrel issue and the no audio issue.  I have the same problems whether or not the headphones (with built in microphone) are plugged in or not.  Any suggestions on what my settings should be would be greatly appreciated.    Can you try one thing for us? Plug in everything you intend to use (use a headset for the best sound), right click your volume slider on your PC, and go to Recording devices. You should have a microphone listed for your webcam and for your headset. Ensure the mic on your camera is Disabled and the headset is enabled. The likely reason the sounds occurs in both cases (plugged in or not) is that the webcam mic is the problem. If this does not fix the issue, then it is likely a problem with your headset and/or mic.