Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Map Definition

I was curious if anyone had a suggestion for the resolution necessary for an image to be used as a map without it becoming blurry when expanded to the size necessary for tokens to explore it.  I've not had good success with the images I've tried to use in the past.  When I get them to the point that they're appropriate for a token taking up a 5ftx5ft space, they're no longer sharp.
Gabriel P.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Aside from the best practices here's the basics: 1 square displays at 70 pixels resolution.  Roll20 allows for up to 200% zoom so if you want full detail at the highest zoom you'll need 140 pixels per square.  So for a 25x25 map you're looking for 3500x3500 pixels if you want full detail at full zoom.  This is probably more than is nesicary most of the time, but the maxium as far as what Roll20 can display.  That's my understanding of it at least.  Hope it helps and happy gaming!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If anyone is likely to know the answer to this it would be Gabriel whose maps are the primary source of my games! Since he has answered your question in detail I'll go ahead and close this thread :) Happy map making!