Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Campaign Limits?

My brother and I are currently running 3 games using roll20 (1 war game and 2 RPGs) and I am wondering is there a limit to how many games or how man maps we can have? If so is there a way I can check to see how far or close I am to the limit?

Edited 1375828134
Gauss
Forum Champion
If there is a limit I have yet to find it. I have a 13 games created as of this post and I have had more.  - Gauss

Edited 1375828236
Gid
Roll20 Team
There's no limit to how many campaigns you can have on your account regardless if its base, supporter, or mentor level. As for what your limits are in the campaign: it'll come down to your browser processing power. There aren't any set-in-stone limit on graphics and pages and map size, it really comes down to whether the girth you want to shove into a campaign will make it unplayable.
As Gauss and Kristin C. have said, there is no limit on the number of campaigns or players you can have.  You do have a limit on the size of files you can upload and total MB of files you can have.  You can check your storage quota by going to the upper right corner of the site and clicking on "Welcome, Robert Towell."  This will bring up a menu and you can click on "My Account" to go to your account page.  In the right hand column you'll find a section that says "Storage Quota."  As a mentor, you have 2,000 MB of storage space for files you upload into your library and can upload files up to 10 MB in size.
Thanks for the super fast answers. Looks like I am more than safe I do not think I will ever get close to 2 gigs of active games.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Robert Towell, congrats, you got three of us Mods to post near simultaneously. :) - Gauss
When you say it's about browser power, can you quantify that at all?  I've a 6GB RAM (generally about 3GB free) 64 bit win7 machine running chrome, though on a low power processor (Core2duo 2.4ghz) that I use for building campaigns, and a 3GB (generally about 1GB free) 32bit win7 laptop also running chrome, with a 2.1ghz Core2duo.  I've not got much built, it's not going to be a problem for the forseeable I wouldn't think as I'm using it as a handy battleboard manager for my real life tabletop game, but in case I get ambitious... at what point am i likely to start seeing problems on either of those machines?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Probably when you get about 15 to 20 tabs or windows open then you will notice a reduced performance but not much unless they also have a lot of individual tile or tokens on the map then you will notice it sooner than later.
Jez, there's no hard and fast necessary machine specifications that I can offer.  My best advice is to be conscious of the size of the image files you are using for maps.  Some users have reported problems when working with overly large sized images (especially graphically intensive PNG files).  I recommend sticking to JPGs as much as possible unless you require some kind of transparency.  If you're working with a particularly huge file, you can also use a graphics/art program to cut it into a few sections if you notice it causing issues.  
Gid
Roll20 Team
Not to mention, you also have to keep in mind that what might work swimmingly for you, might not load for a player who has a computer on a slower internet connect, older specs, or using a cruddy graphics card. A campaign pretty much hinges on the player with the lowest specs.

Edited 1378330863
Thanks that's an excellent point Kristin. Sarah, Metroknight - thanks for the advice.  I've been using jpgs rather than png or anything like that, and compressing any map I download using GIMP if it's larger than 1MB to begin with. Generally I can use a good 40% quality setting before any noticable quality degradation creeps in (in my experience so far this results in a file about a tenth the size of the original unless that was already compressed) .  So I'm probably ok, and I certainly haven't noticed any issues so far as I said. Tricky with the built in art search - you really have no idea how big they'll be before you drag them across. Fortunately of course, searched artwork doesn't count for my quota but clearly could affect performance so i'll watch out for that. Have I missed an easy way to get the size from a search return (from the 'on the web' listings rather than my own uploaded library I mean)? In any case, it was all smooth enough while I was demoing to my group this evening with a player account acting in one browser on the TV screen, and my laptop screen running a GM account* so I could show them fog of war, handouts, access rights in action and so on. They were mightily impressed with the product, by the way.  So anyway, I'm not overly concerned, was just curious to see if there were any known issues (e.g. "when you get to 50 sheets it doesn't matter how lightly populated the sheets are it all gets a bit iffy") - but thank you all very much for your replies. * i.e. both sessions were running on the same low power laptop, one in chrome, one in firefox, along with an IE session with all my other online game resources, a couple of PDFs and all my various campaign note documents and spreadsheets - Laptop handled it all surprisingly well, but then I only have 6 pages at the moment, at least two of which are mostly empty apart from some pre-defined tokens ready for copy/pasting and a few reusable scenery pieces for quick fire random encounter copy/pasting. The hardest part about running two sessions on the one device was figuring out how to turn off video and sound so my poor laptop didn't get confused! Everything else was sweet.  
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I've loaded and test run my test board in my samsung galaxy 2 tab and there was no issue with the loading of the images. I figured if it loads on that tablet then there should be any problem with your computers. It has ,if I remember correctly, a 1 gig cpu and a gig of ram which about have is free to use.
Gauss
Forum Champion
In the Art Library when you search for an image from the web you can right click on the link to the image (above the image) and look at it on it's own website.  - Gauss
It works on a tab2? Oh Rofl, that's awesome. I have one of those (7'' version) and I've had no use for it at all since I got my S3 mobile phone. Now I can use it as a ridiculously expensive handout viewer! 
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I have the 7inch version also and it does work but not completely. There are some issues but not with loading images. The mobile device types are more a hit or miss with a variety of things but that is for a different thread.