Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Rolling from Handhout (button?)

Hey guys, Is there a way to roll from a handout into the chat for example? I want to run some published stuff but they keep rolling on tables and it would be nice if I can either roll from the handout using the table or just a dice from the handout. Thanks
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Yes, actually.  It's not completely obvious and requires a bit of hackery, but you can do the following: 1) create the text you want to use as the roll. 2) select it and click the Insert Link option on the link button (looks like 3 links of chain) 3) insert the following text, replacing any 1d6 with whatever inline roll you want: !
/w gm [[ 1d6 ]] 4) save the document. Now, when you click the link, it will perform the command. In the case of the above, it will whisper the result of 1d6 to the GM.  If you edit the link, you'll basically need to retype it, so if it has a problem delete it and start over.  The salient point is you must begin with: !
 then anything else you add will just get executed as if you typed it into chat.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
BTW, I tested with roll templates as well and it works great. =D
Thanks Aaron! A boss like always. Shot you a PM about something else :$
Alicia
Sheet Author
I was actually trying to find the post about this the other day. Thanks for reiterating it. Should really be added to the wiki if it's not.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
There was a post about this before?  Now I'm curious! =D
Alicia
Sheet Author
The Aaron said: There was a post about this before?  Now I'm curious! =D I couldn't find it, but I thought I remembered a discussion about it.
I saw you mentioning something about it Aaron. Not surprisingly ;) But that was with a button or something. ;)
I remember trying to do this long ago and couldn't get it to work, but I was trying to use a picture and link though that. I will have to try this again just using the text. 
Would be awesome if we could do that with images in handouts.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Might be able to do images if you copy/paste them in and then select them instead of text. 
F.Y.I it will not work if you have the sheet popped out, just tested it, but it works great otherwise. I can even make ability calls.
Wes
Sheet Author
Ahh, the little things that make us Happy!
( Here's the previous discussion, for anyone interested! )
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ah right. I remember that conversation. That was about doing it through the API for the API. :)
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Very cool.  Thanks.