Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Slow Running Script Errors When Doing Map Reveals

Mr G
KS Backer
I've checked the other bug reports and can't find anything that references similar, so hoefully this is not a duplicate. Using Firefox and Windows 7 32bit. 6 players plus myself. FOW map reveal has problems. Would select an area of map to reveal, that area would go white (to me) for 10 seconds, then the grid disappeared, then a messagebox telling me I had a slow running script would pop up asking me if I wanted to wait or terminate. If you select wait another 10 seconds passes and then the grid reappears and the area is revealed.
This is definitely the first I'm hearing of this. Do you get the same issue when you do a reveal when your players aren't in the game with you? Was it happening on every page or just a certain one?
I haven't seen the long-running-script error but I do see a delay in reveals, maybe 3-4 seconds from the time I release the mouse button to the time the reveal tool rectangle disappears and the area is revealed.
Note I just tried it and it was very fast, I'm thinking the lag might only be there when we have players in the game. I'll try to do some testing this week and let you know what I find. Do you know any way to export the Chrome JS Profiler data? Would you be interested in such data from a game?
I've pushed out a new update that hopefully addresses this issue. Let me know if you're still seeing it.
Will do, I'll try to get some guys on this weekend and see how reveals work. Also a quick test by myself in chrome shows that VectorEditor.l (you can have fun figuring out what method .l is in your unminimized JS) now only takes about 1.5% of the total time when doing lots of little reveals versus 2.8% when I tested earlier today. That is the top CPU time user that isn't part of jQuery
Mr G
KS Backer
Hi Riley It's fine when I'm in the game on my own, it only seems to happen when I have players there. Thanks for the hopeful fix - our next session is Wednesday so I'll let you know after that. Cheers, Mr G.
Just following up on this thread to check and see if folks are still having issues with this. Let me know if you are/aren't. Thanks!
Haven't had a chance to test yet. I would tomorrow but everyone in our group has preordered D3 so I think we may be preoccupied tomorrow evening :p
Mr G
KS Backer
Next game with players will be on Wednesday evening, so I'll let you know after that. Thanks for checking back - that's appreciated. Cheers, Mr G.
Mr G
KS Backer
Okay, I think I have more info on this problem. You only get the big delay, the slow running script error, and the disappearing grid if you have zoomed the map in excess of 100%. If you are at 100% then it is just slow (5-10 seconds) but within acceptable levels.
Can you give me more info on what campaign and page this is happening on in your account? Because I'm just not able to reproduce this on my end...do I'm wondering if maybe there's something I'm not considering/realizing about your map...size? Number of hidden/revealed areas?
Mr G
KS Backer
Certainly, Riley. It's called "Mr G's Stars Without Number Campaign" and the page is called "The Bronze Tomb". It only happens when they are other people in the game with me. If it's just me the reveal is virtually instant, regardless of zoom level. Cheers, Mr G.
Is this still happening? Just curious since we updated a lot of the way the FoW works in the last couple of updates.
Nope, we had 7 people on last night and FOW reveals where quite fast. Actually I didn't run into any performance related problems at all last night.
Mr G
KS Backer
Had a 6 player plus me session last night and pleased to report that FoW reveal at 100% zoom is now virtually instantaneous. I forgot to try the reveal at different zoom levels, so will do so next week. Many thanks.