Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Question about the Volos monster guide

If the dm buys Volos monster guide will the races and monsters be available to the whole group or dm only ?    Thanks

Edited 1476986764
Hi Cymeric! The same rules for premium subscriptions apply to in-game access of Volo's Guide to Monsters. If a DM purchases Volo's Guide on Roll20, and then adds Volo's Guide content to their game, all players in that game will have access to the content in-game. As for the web version of the Volo's Guide Compendium entries, individual users will need to purchase Volo's Guide to access that content.
How do I add the content to my game?
Hey Josh! For monsters, it's very simple: you can access the Compendium via the tab on the Roll20 platform (next to the Journal tab). Search for any Volo's Guide monsters that you'd like to add to your game there. Then you can drag & drop the name onto the tabletop, which will add a fully statted token to your game and a monster entry to your Journal. We're also currently designing a method that will allow GMs to drag and drop Compendium entries as Handouts into their campaign for player's use. We don't have a definitive ETA for this code to be in place, but it is our priority to see this through. If you have any issues importing the content to your game, let us know on the  Volo's Guide to Monsters Official Bug Thread .
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Where do you find the battle maps? I've check my transmogrifier, my games and the compendium, but I don't see the maps.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You would need to create a Game with the Volo's Guide to Monsters as the base module, then you would Transmogrify from that game to your existing one.
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Okay, thank you so much!
Hi Patrick! Feel free to email Roll20 at <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> about this. We'll be glad to help!
If I where to purchase Volo's Guide , would I be able to drop the tokens etc. into a game I'm a DM , but not the Owner in ?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You will be able to drop the characters into the game as well as dropping handouts from it into the game. &nbsp;The only thing you won't be able to do in a game you didn't create is Transmogrify the lair maps over.

Edited 1479659650
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Suzanne W. said: Hi Patrick! Feel free to email Roll20 at <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> about this. We'll be glad to help! Nah, forgive my initial reaction; I was just really excited about the content, especially the maps and my initial reaction was a bit much. But then I also bought the hardcover version and saw that the maps came that way. &nbsp;I love having all the compendium stuff! Roll20 rules! &nbsp;I deleted my previous post.
If I buy the hardcover book, do I still need to buy it again on Roll20 to get it here too? Or can I unlock the digital version somehow if I got the hardcover book - or get the digital version cheaper if I have the hardcover?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
The digital version on Roll20 is a separate product from the physical copy. &nbsp;You would need to buy both to have both. &nbsp;There is not discount on one for buying the other. &nbsp; When you buy the physical version, you are paying for the time of the authors and the physical process of producing the physical book. &nbsp;When you buy the digital version, you are paying for the time of the authors and the time of the people setting up the content on Roll20 and the cost of hosting that content. &nbsp;It's like owning the book and dvd versions of a story.