Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll 20 and Low Speed Internet

I have a choice that I'm facing and need to decide between two options. I'm moving and could either move to a place that's better to live, but I'll be stuck with Frontier internet at around 12 mb/s, or I could move to a place that's a bit worse to live but I'll get wave with 250 mb/s. So my question is, in your experience how well does low speed internet handle roll 20 while in game? I image just the loading times will take a bit longer since it has to load all the assets every time you join or switch pages, but after that it should be just fine, correct?
I have comparable internet and Roll20 works just fine.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
For the vast majority of cases, it should be fine. The video/voice chat will use more bandwidth than most the VTT stuff. I've played on 2mb with google hangouts video chat many times without issue. It will really come down to the quality of the internet connection more that the advertised speed. 
Yeah I know the speed number only plays a part in it, I'm fairly certain I'd have a good connection, could probably just use a power line adapter and it'd be fine. I just wanted to see what others experiences with it were. That reassures me though, thank you both.

Edited 1488172207
If you have 12Mb/s upload speed, you will certainly exceed Roll20 WebRTC's (minimum) Requirements , being able to likely use higher Bandwith Options with some groups. I would verify with Frontier that you would be receiving a 12Mb/s upload speed (and an equal or greater download speed). You may also be interested in checking out the Wiki's Network Connection Performance section.
Unfortunately it would be 12Mb/s download, upload would be like 1Mb/s. But based on those pages I should be able to get away with it while using 3rd party apps for communication, which is what I already do.
Right, then you should be able to get away with using a third-party program for communications. My two tips for optimizing perfomance: Breaking up larger maps into several Pages with smaller dimensions. If you are using a complex Character Sheet: avoid accumulating large amounts of Characters, or Transmogrify most frequently-unused Characters into a "storage" game.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Also remember that if you find voice/video is to much for your bandwidth, there is text only game play also and that reduces your bandwidth usage also.
Natha
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I live in the middle of nowhere with 2Mbs download and 0,5 Mbs upload (if I'm the only on the line in the house ...). Everything works fine but I avoid video (audio only) with Roll20 (and other chat software).