Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

CSS problem with option field and span attribute

Loki
Sheet Author
Hi! I have a design question regarding the custom character sheet I'm currently working on. As I am a programmer but not a designer, I consider CSS as something I want to avoid dealing with as far as possible. For my character sheet I looked at other character sheets, adopted some of the ideas and ajusted them. One of this ideas was a tab-control to jump through several sites of a character sheet. This is managed with radio buttons that control the behaviour of span areas. .charsheet {     background-color: white; } .charsheet {     font-family: "Times New Roman"; } /*-----------------------------------------------input ------------------------------------------------*/ .charsheet input[type=text], .charsheet input[type=number] {     padding-left: 2px; } .charsheet input[type="text"], .charsheet input[type="number"] {     background-color: white;     border-width: 0px 0px 0px 0px; } .charsheetinput [type="text"]:disabled, .charsheet input[type="number"]:disabled {     background-color: lightgray;     border-width: 0px 0px 0px 0px; } .charsheet input[type="text"], select {     width:100%;     margin:0;     background-color: white;     border-width: 0px 0px 0px 0px; } .charsheet input[type=number]:disabled {     background-color:#FFFFFF; } td {     padding: 0px; } input{     font-family: "Times New Roman"; } input[type="checkbox"]:checked + span::before{     content: "[verstecken]"; } input[type="text"]:disabled {     background-color:#81BEF7; } input[type="checkbox"] + span::before {     margin-right: 4px;     line-height: 14px;     text-align: center;     display: inline-block;     vertical-align: middle;          content: "[anzeigen]";     width: 14px;     height: 14px;     font-size: 12px; } /* */   /*-------------------------------------------------Tabs--------------------------------------*/ div[class^="sheet-section"] {          visibility: hidden;     opacity: 0;     max-height:0;     overflow: hidden; } input.sheet-tab {     width: 70px;     height: 20px;     cursor: pointer;         position: relative;     opacity: 1;     z-index: 9999; } span.sheet-tab {     text-align: center;     display: inline-block;        font-size: 12px;         background: #dcdcdc;     color: black;     font-weight: bold;          border: solid 1px #a8a8a8;     text-align: center;     width: 170px;     height: 20px;     cursor: pointer;         position: relative;     margin-left: -75px; } input.sheet-tab::before {     content: attr(title);     text-align: center;     display: inline-block;         width: 100%;     height: 100%;     background: black;     color: white;     font-weight: bold; } input.sheet-tab1:checked ~ div.sheet-section-Grundwerte, input.sheet-tab2:checked ~ div.sheet-section-Fertigkeiten,, input.sheet-tab21:checked ~ div.sheet-section-Fertigkeiten, input.sheet-tab3:checked ~ div.sheet-section-Kampf, input.sheet-tab4:checked ~ div.sheet-section-Entwicklung, input.sheet-tab5:checked ~ div.sheet-section-Tiergefaehrten {     max-height: 999999px;     visibility: visible;     opacity: 1;     transition: opacity 0.5s linear 0s;     overflow: hidden;          border: 1px solid #222;     margin: 7px 0 0 5px;     padding: 5px } I have a problem with input.sheet-tab . With the width of 70px it fits perfectly and looks like this: But the user has to click in the left part of the "button" to jump to another side, which is an annoying bug. If I change the width to something like 140, it looks like this: That's even worse. As I said: I have no idea of good design and would be glad if anyone could point out a solution for this problem (that the radio button has the same size as the "button"/span area and is in fact in the same place). Also I want to add that the opacity of the input.sheet-tab normally is 0, I just set it to 1 to have a visual hint. So, I guess it's a pretty odd problem for someone who's used to code in CSS - but I'd be glad if you can take the time and help me nevertheless. Cheers.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
The width of input.sheet-tab = 70px, but your span.sheet-tab = 170px.  You want the width of your span and your input to be the same. If you want the 140px width input.sheet-tab, you'd need to change the width of your span to match that AND you'd need to change your margin-left of the span to be something like -145px.   input.sheet-tab {     width: 70px;     height: 20px;     cursor: pointer;         position: relative;     opacity: 1;     z-index: 9999; } span.sheet-tab {     text-align: center;     display: inline-block;        font-size: 12px;         background: #dcdcdc;     color: black;     font-weight: bold;          border: solid 1px #a8a8a8;     text-align: center;     width: 70px; //This will make the span and the input the exact same size     height: 20px;     cursor: pointer;         position: relative;     margin-left: -75px; //This may need to be tweaked, but it's a good starting point. }
Loki
Sheet Author
Thank you very much, taht worked!