Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Unrelated but I wanted to share...

So my little girl turned 5 and wanted to play "gaming" with daddy. She wanted to be hawk girl, we made her a character and started playing. She liked it it was like super-secret reading and math exercise as she had to add things together and tell me which was bigger. It made learning fun for her and I realized she was better at role playing than half the adults I knew. The kept touching her ear and talking to John "John I need help, john they have guns, John I need paint." type stuff. Her first adventure was someone was steeling all the color from the city. After beating them, she decided to paint the city so people had a nice place to live. Each adventure took only 20-30 minutes. But she was loving it, and having to read the names of the villains or her character sheet helped reinforce her sight words.
Excellent. Very cool. Kids tend to be really great roleplayers because they really want it to work and we really want it to work for them. Most of us would probably rather not reject an idea a child gave us; we'd build off of it, in order to encourage them.
Gid
Roll20 Team
That's super awesome, Robert! In case you need some more mechanical ideas to introduce to her later down the line, I figure I'd recommend these two games that are meant for younger audiences. Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple - If she ends up liking Avatar: The Last Airbender , she might really dig this game because it really smacks of that sort of kid hijinks type of adventure. And while I haven't played this one, you might find this intriguing (and also gives you an excuse to bake and play with cookies as your character sheets) The Secret Lives of Gingerbread Men .
Hero Kids is a cool rpg with just this kind of stuff in mind. <a href="http://herokidsrpg.blogspot.com/p/hero-kids-overview.html" rel="nofollow">http://herokidsrpg.blogspot.com/p/hero-kids-overview.html</a>
I'm a fan of some of the simpler RPGs made with kids in mind. There's one, I'll have to find the PDF for, that I found on Penny-Arcade a while back during their first venture into the Lookouts series, which basically is a very simplified D&D style encounter where the Players are characters with simple stats and two moves learning combat by fighting beasts that their teacher lets out of cages two at a time. Quite fun for a first-time session with the kids, and actually not too boring for the adults.
Good stuff. I have seen kids come up with a lot of cool ideas. Our local area has a D&D group we started for 9 and ten year olds. Lots of times the adults are amazed at the out of the box solutions kids come up with for a story or scenario challenge / problem. Rock on.
Cool, I did not know there were so many kids focused RPG's already out there. Looking at them, I think they look cool. I will let my daughter pick one of them. (She likes being allowed to make decisions). And you are right about thinking outside the box James. It makes me wonder why we try so hard, when some ideas seam so simple to her, and I think "Yeh, that would work".
yes. Because they are not fixed into go to work, pay the bills "practicality."
Gid
Roll20 Team
Robert Towell said: Cool, I did not know there were so many kids focused RPG's already out there. I think a lot of that has to do with lifelong tabletop gamers who now have their own children and want simpler means to introduce them to the hobby.
100% agree. the kids we play with are from the other gamers who want to teach them so that in years ahead they can join the D&D group.