Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Outsider moves for ghosts

Edited 1502487563
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
The unseen world : You can commune with other departed ghosts. Whenever you contact the unseen realm, roll +Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but those beyond make an uncomfortable demand. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to: receive a cursed or spiritually potent item that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold) consult the memories of the departed to ask the GM a question about the current situation clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home Possession : When you touch a mortal object and empower it, roll +Freak. On a hit, you can use this object as a focus to do something impossible. When you roll a 10+, choose one: it works exceptionally well you get an additional use out of it On a miss, the focus is effective, but it has a completely unintended side effect that the GM will reveal when you use it. The past is a foreign country : Whenever you openly disregard or undermine an modern era custom in favor of one of your own era's customs, shift Superior up and any other Label down. Fetters : You have a set of physical fetters, some otherwise mundane items with special emotional significance to you such as a pocket watch or painting. Detail their history, and choose two strengths and weaknesses. When your fetters are present in the scene, you can use them to unleash your powers, directly engage a threat, or defend someone using Superior. Strengths : Very portable, very concealable, usable as weapon, easily fixable, can shift between mundane and spirit world, can be used at a distance Weaknesses : Requires ritual to empower, susceptible to ________, easily detectable, big and clumsy, difficult to repair In good spirits : When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they exemplify the best parts of the modern world, roll +Freak instead of +Mundane. History lesson : When you talk about your home time and place, roll +Freak. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one. During the conversation, you: confess a flaw of your home; add 1 Team to the pool mislead them about your home; take Influence over them describe the glories of your home; clear a condition On a miss, you inadvertently reveal more about yourself than you planned; tell them a secret or vulnerability you haven’t shared with the living before now.
Nice ...
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Bill this is fantastic. Thanks so much for doing the heavy lifting on this. Would you mind sharing this on the Masks community? I think people would appreciate it. (A simple "hey the Outsider is a ghost in our new game, so I reskinned the Outsider moves because I rolled 13 on Comfort and Support the GM" would probably suffice as a preface.)
So were these original (or "reskinned") by you, Bill? Because that's even more awesome than the "Hey, I dug around the Intertubes and found these great things to share" that I thought they were.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Yeah, I wrote the text posted above, based on the stock Outsider moves. I want to clean up a couple of them, but I'm happy to post elsewhere if people think they are worthwhile.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
I think they're great, and I think the Masks community would benefit from seeing how a rewrite of the playbook moves can really change the feel of a playbook. It's good stuff!
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Posted here:&nbsp; <a href="https://plus.google.com/+BillGarrett/posts/6iSQCSk" rel="nofollow">https://plus.google.com/+BillGarrett/posts/6iSQCSk</a>... Buckling up to get torn apart by the community.
I think they are excellent. I'm sure people will have tuning ideas, but I think it's great stuff.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
There's lots of room to change things, yeah. For example, I might have assigned a ghost character a "haunted house" type thing, similar to the Doomed or Protege headquarters, with various ghostly perks instead of high-tech gear. That's not mobile the way a Kirby-craft is, but maybe it can make up for that in other ways.
For a Kirby-craft analog, perhaps a familiar spirit -- could be a mount (a skeletal horse! a huge demonic hound!), or could be something smaller that simply helps transport the spirit from one place to another ("Teekl! Get us out of here!"). It's a thin reskinning, but as long as you throw in some mysterious KIrby crackles, it would be fine.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I can't think of a lot of mobile, vehicle-like schticks for ghosts in the fiction. You COULD come up with any or all of those options mentioned, but they don't feel as central to the "ghost" concept to me. An alternative that I HAVE seen a ton of times, though: Mirror Mirror : You can appear in one type of visual medium, such as a mirror or television. You can be half-glimpsed by someone you are haunting, or you can emerge from or travel between one such medium object and another one. (blah blah blah insert Kirby-craft text here). Instead of flying around, you travel from mirror to mirror (or crawl out of a TV, Ring style). If there's a question of reaching a particular location, unleash your powers to do so. You can maybe open portals for your group to come with you - or have adventures where you're stuck in the non-space between worlds, and the team has to fight off the Unseen Ones until you get out.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
For THIS ghost girl specifically, a skeletal horse would be very appropriate - a young lady's riding animal for around the property, maybe, or (since we're at the Kentucky Derby) an actual racing animal the family owned and raced. In that case, yeah, go nuts. :)
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Hmm. I like that Mirror Mirror thing. :) That said, no reason the Fetters can't be a motive-enabling thing. But I do like the Mirror Mirror thing. :)
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Okay. If this is a move Margie might be interested in, and nobody else is working on a final version, I'll flesh out Mirror Mirror.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Oh, the preference is all mine. I don't know if Margie was interested in (or even needs right now) the Kirby-craft thing. :)
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Doyce T. said: Oh, the preference is all mine. I don't know if Margie was interested in (or even needs right now) the Kirby-craft thing. :) If she chimes in, I'll throw out a suggestion for moves unless she works out something better. :)
Sorry for the delay getting onto the discussion. I think these are great - THANKS From the original rules, I was looking at Between Two Worlds (love your translation to Unseen World), The Best of Them (Cheerful Spirit), and&nbsp;Not so different after all (History Lesson). With your reimagining of the tech moves, I think I like Possessed or Tethered better than History Lesson. At least the cost of failing sounds a lot more interesting. As for Mirror Mirror, I think deep shadow would be a better transit point. I was also considering a take on the Density Control ability. I can turn one individual ghostly and drag them through shadow, a wall, etc.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
OOhhh. I like what that would imply about the experience of being phased through a wall. (Cue Peter Jackson ring-o-vision effects. :)

Edited 1502738035
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Mirror Mirror : Choose one type of medium between the real and unreal - mirrors, paintings, areas of deep shadow, crystal balls, television screens, or anything else the GM allows. Choose two strengths and two weaknesses. You can phase into or out of your medium. While ensconced in your medium, you can unleash your powers, directly engage a threat, or defend someone using Superior. You can also teleport between two instances of your medium, with or without passengers; the GM will tell you if or when this is possible and if anything else is required to do so. Strengths: easily accessible, subtle or concealable, ubiquitous, easily replaceable, projectable, callable Weaknesses: requires ritual, susceptible to ________, easily detectable, big and clumsy, easily breakable, difficult to replace Note: "projectable" means the Outsider can manipulate the medium to project an image or impression of some kind without a roll, such as speaking through a television or making a mirror show someone else's reflection. I need a better name for this. "Callable" means that you can ritually invoke the Outsider, usually by calling their name several times while facing the medium, and they will be aware of the call.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
The comic "Erma" is probably a good resource for any pre-teen ghost Outsider:&nbsp;<a href="https://tapas.io/episode/257351" rel="nofollow">https://tapas.io/episode/257351</a>

Edited 1505836717
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Bill G. said: Mirror Mirror : You can appear in one type of visual medium, such as a mirror or television. You can be half-glimpsed by someone you are haunting, or you can emerge from or travel between one such medium object and another one. When you are emerging from your medium, you can unleash your powers, directly engage a threat, or defend someone using Superior. Instead of flying around, you travel from mirror to mirror (or crawl out of a TV, Ring style). If there's a question of reaching a particular location, unleash your powers to do so. You can maybe open portals for your group to come with you - or have adventures where you're stuck in the non-space between worlds, and the team has to fight off the Unseen Ones until you get out. I think the only thing I want to tweak here is that you probably can't portal into areas where you aren't welcome - echoes of the 'must invite vampires in' thing. I think this gives the same basic mobility as the Kirby-craft, with a fairly 'logical' restriction that feeds into the fiction. Also that could be overcome by Unleashing Your Powers on a case-by-case. And "Invites" can be as simply as whispering her name into the shadows within a domicile, or something like that. Also, that doesn't mean she couldn't just walk up to a 'blocked' building and use density shift to go in through a wall anyway (assuming it's not warded in some way, but that's a different thing). Actually, the text above is missing some relevant Kirby Craft bits that might let us define the power a bit more, and accomplish what I'm babbling about. Here's a modified version of the KC text we skipped before: Choose two strengths and two weaknesses: Strengths: fast & precise, stealthy, empowering, dimension-shifting, communication enabler Weaknesses: requires bizarre fuel, susceptible to _______, easily detectable, easily blocked, slow and imprecise So maybe GG's shadow walk is... Stealthy Dimension-shifting, both by default (traveling through the shadow realm) and maybe intentionally ("Do your portals have to go to... earth?") Easily blocked (private buildings are blocked by default, for example) and...&nbsp; Susceptible to interference? (Stuff from the Shadow Realm or people attuned to it might mess with you or something) Or whatever. I'm flexible.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
And I just realized Bill had already posted this strengths/weaknesses thing already, and I missed it. Ooops.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
"The GM will tell you if this is possible etc." covered the invasion angle for me, at least. Some mediums would let you do this, e.g. The Ring, others not.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Yeah, that's kind of why I figured "easily blocked" could just be an option on the move. Obviously ring-o-vision teleports would have different limitations, since getting inside someone's house would be the whole point. :) Or... hmm. I dunno. Maybe that's still the whole point. It is a ghost after all. Might just need to burn some sage to keep her out. :)
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
That leaves you with a new GM move: Bring to bear a spectral weakness or mystic quality I played a half-elemental character in a fantasy game who worked like this. She ate, drank, and lived like a mortal, but she could be warded and bound like a spirit. Made for some tense gaming when we encountered enemy shaman and the like.