Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Seeking advice for free movement board games

I'm looking for any advice on how to set up a better way of moving pieces that would not be moving on a grid. My friends and I play a lot of star wars: X-wing and are looking into ways to make a more mechanical way of moving our pieces instead of treating everything like drawings and eyeballing ship movements using templates (also as drawings). Is there a way to make templates that "snap" to bases of objects, or ways to create custom dice? Right now for dice we're using a muti-sided token and roll it randomly, which works fine for chat but if we could have 3D d8's roll with those symbols, it'd be awesome. Thanks for any advice you guys can come up with!
As an extra bonus, is there a way to add a new token bar or bubble? A lot of troops in x wing and other games have more than 3 stats that would be helpful to show at a glance. 

Edited 1504142602
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Move without grid: Hold alt while dragging to prevent snap.  Set "Is Drawing" on the token (but you lose bars) Turn off the grid on that page Additionally, precise spacing can be managed with alt+arrow keys.  Custom dice are limited to Rollable Tables. 3D custom dice would be cool.  Extra bars: not really. There are some hacks with the API (a Pro Subscriber Perk) or adding a second token (probably a clear image) and using its 3 bars.  You might find useful: While dragging a token, you can hit space to start measuring.  Hitting space again while measuring places a waypoint. Select a token and hit space to see the last move it made. 
Thanks Aaron! I've already removed the grid after setting up the sizing for pieces and the play mat. I'll try the precise spacing and see if that works, although it would have to be in such a way to work off of moving partial units or I would need to change my scale. For example, two of the movement templates are 5 units forward (the forward sprint) and a 1 unit forward, half unit to the side with a 45 degree turn (the short bank). If those templates, currently marked as drawings, could snap to my tokens for precise movements, that would be amazing. If it's not possible, then I'll work with what I've got.  Can the tokens be pinned together in such a way that they will move together as a single piece yet still be easy enough to click on separately to see all 6 bubbles? I think I've tried that before but the token pinned to the original that I moved would snap to the grid and get off centered. I'll play around with it and see how it behaves. 
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
With no grid, the grouped token might stay where you want... not really sure. The precise positioning is by pixels, I believe. Snapping could be achieved with some serious math in an API script (Pro Level Perk).