Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

MASKS #12 - WHEN THE DEAD WALK! [Recap]

Last time ... War in the skies over Halcyon! Shatterstar strikes at Concord, hurling him from the sky with her gravitonic accretion disk! (Concord falling ... ... Link zooming upwards, snagging him, "And I'm here to catch you.") The shipping fans go crazy! As does gravity! (Cars and pedestrians fly into the air.) Ghost Girl arrives, and summons Mercury! (Peering from shadows, interrupting Harry dancing in a PE class with a well-muscled girl) Cosmic swordplay rocks the city! (Concord blocks the starlight sword blast with a shield) (Concord, "Why are you doing this?!") Link rescues plummeting pedestrians and perilous passengers! (Link's cosmic tilt-a-whirl) Concord goes on the attack! But his powers don't work that way! (Powers don't work that way.) Jason Quill has the answers! (Jason in is flying disc, shouting in te the radio) And Link has the muscle (throws a car into the portal she's created, hurling her with an alarmed face into some other place) (Link, Concord, and Ghost Girl fall from the sky). And Mercury has the speed! (Harry does the air cushion thing, as Jason creates a nanobot cushion) A great victory for our heroes! Or -- (looking at Concord, staring at the sky, fists clenched) -- is it? But Concord isn't the only one who's worried ... (the robot head back at the school, eyes blinking Morse code, subtitles translating: "... Leo ... Leo ... Leo ... Leo, it's Pneuma ... something went wrong ...") Three Hours Earlier ... Mid-morning shot of the street where Ghostheart's hideout was at, in the abandoned dentist's office. Brownstones. Ghost Girl eyes it from a distance ... creeps in ... She trying to discern what's WRONG about the area, what Ghostheart might have done. She's untrained. So she does down to the basement, hoping to prove that she's the Good one in this equation, despite Ghostheart's accusations. And she passes through into the spiritual world. She perceives the space around where GH has been operating has _stained_ the area in some fashion. He hasn't been summoning spirits / ghosts. Weird metaphysical growths. Weird thing in the sky -- a vague sense of malevolence looking down into the city. She steps back out onto the street in the spirit world -- and there's that presence, swirling faces stepping in where people have passed by. It looks like it's searching ... faces, but more like a finger ... is it attracted to things she's touched? GG ... poke it with a stick? Try and absorb it? Or maybe just ... stir it with a stick? Pouring her energy into it to ... dilute it. ... And the effect seems to work. The clouds look a bit less menacing. It's will has been dispersed (though not dispelled). It's not what it wanted for nourishment. The Present ... Jason gets Concord to snap out of it and follow. GG, still looking in-color and fleshy, in the Quill flying disc. Otto arrives, as the disc returns to the Quill compound -- Otto pulls an unconscious Link out -- follows Jason to the medbay. Jason carries GG -- she feels like a Real Girl. Concord is insecure and hopeless/helpless. The authorities are showing up and cordoning off the crowds. Paramedics. Adam's dad is looking at him. He seems ... disappointed. Adam gets to the Quill compound first, looking like a kid in the corner, except he's not facing the corner. Jason tries to run diagnostics on GG. Link comes to -- can kind of sit up. Sees Jason/Harry and GG. Notes Adam is kind of off on his own. "If everyone lived, and we made it out of 5th period, good job, man." GG is dreaming -- could wake up. She is showing a normal pulse, etc. Numbers are weird -- low pulse, respiration slow. GG is dreaming of sitting on the back veranda garden. Flowers. Remembering it, and her family. Servant bringing a tray. She's in ghost form. ((Link hooks up the robot head to a power source.)) She has a little cry. It's sad. Clearest memory she's ever had. Mother calls her. "You're already late, don't dawdle. But walk, like a proper young lady!" World starts to lose focus. The clouds seem to have a face in them ... as the world fades to white. All of GG's readings flatline. Because the leads are not connected to her. She's a ghost again. Jason tries to explain the situation to her. "But how is everyone?" Leo shouts, "[Expletive deleted]." Jason goes over to him. It's Pneuma. "Someone's gonna die." Who did this? "This is a restored backup from just before I left this morning." Feels constrained by the hardware. "I don't I think I ... none of what happened after i restored from backup was because of any subroutines or protocols I'm aware of. Leo?" Leo explains. "Someone cloned my girlfriend, made her a quadriplegic and set things up so that I would kill her." "Wow. That's really fucked up." "So that's why I'm going to find this guy and kill him." She had been going off to talk with a Buddhist priest in Japan (while tracking down some Rossum financial data). (Piercing the Mask) Investigating being a created thing, free will, feelings about Leo, doing more direct things to figure out what Rossum is up to. Has never done anything on her own, and wanted to see she could. Also wanted to see if Leo would flip out. Jason keeps offering up robot bodies from the warehouse. Adam and GG. Adam is 20 thousand miles away.  Shell shock . GG tries to talk him down. Comfort/support. Her explanation ("Bummer – malingerer, someone who deliberately lags behind to forage or steal on his own shrift") goes horribly wrong, which causes Adam to be very much not a happy a camper. Jason wires Pneuma into the holographic projector. Leo ... restrains himself from giving her a hug. but he grabs Jason, drags him over to Adam and Harry, and does a group hug. (except Pneuma and GG, who are intangible) Wrap-Up! Harry - Gets an advance for being sick. Jason - Growing into the image of a leader: +Mundane, -Freak Leo - Growing closer to team / Jason: +Mundane, -Superior GG - Growing closer to team / Jason: -insecure, influence by Jason Adam - Growing into his own image -Savior, +Mundane (very much not a superhero) Next Time! Pennsylvania! Or maybe Japan!
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Leo's thinking about why he didn't just demolish the robot at the school. He didn't want to scare Adam with that kind of show of violence. He fears his father, fear leads to anger, and so on, but the last thing he wants to do is alienate his team. So in a sense, Adam saved Pneuma. Leo doesn't know how Adam would process that right now, so settled for "you owe me a fry".
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
See, I was going for "you owe me a fry" just because Adam trotted out the "this is weird" comment again, as in the lunch room. (Another scene Kaylee wants to draw fan art for.)
Jason is inordinately pleased with himself for thinking of the holoprojector thing, both because it meant he did something clever and technical, and because it helped Pneuma and  Leo.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Doyce T. said: See, I was going for "you owe me a fry" just because Adam trotted out the "this is weird" comment again, as in the lunch room. (Another scene Kaylee wants to draw fan art for.) Yeah, I remembered it, and it was awesome you did too. :)
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
*** Dave H. said: Jason is inordinately pleased with himself for thinking of the holoprojector thing, both because it meant he did something clever and technical, and because it helped Pneuma and  Leo. And rightfully so.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Soon Leo is going to remember himself, hand Jason's robot list to Pneuma, apologize and say " you pick one and I'll make it happen".
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
*** Dave H. said: Has never done anything on her own, and wanted to see she could. Also wanted to see if Leo would flip out. Roll+SHIP. On a hit, Otto tells Pneuma about the conversations that happened in  these comics where he does in fact flip out. On 7-9, he also mentions the flirty invitations from the Ponies to have Link over for coffee. On a miss, he mentions the new girl at school, Taz, how Leo has her phone number now, and what he said about her "really great [...] chemistry" and "having her as a partner" and "the other girl has someone new", or something like that Jason keeps offering up robot bodies from the warehouse. Leo:  ಠ_ಠ
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
*** Dave H. said: Weird thing in the sky -- a vague sense of malevolence looking down into the city. She steps back out onto the street in the spirit world -- and there's that presence, swirling faces stepping in where people have passed by. It looks like it's searching ... faces, but more like a finger ... is it attracted to things she's touched? GG ... poke it with a stick? Try and absorb it? Or maybe just ... stir it with a stick? Pouring her energy into it to ... dilute it. ... And the effect seems to work. The clouds look a bit less menacing. It's will has been dispersed (though not dispelled). It's not what it wanted for nourishment. The thing I really dug about this was the way Margie framed it both as a broad ("I want to protect humanity") and personal thing at the same time. That sort of casual defiance of scale, standing toe-to-toe with something cosmic, is a magical element that she and her PC can bring. It was a lot of fun to see play out.
A wonderful session as always.  The callback at the end totally went over my head until it was pointed out (I have the worst memory for these things). Doyce, I have my recordings from last night.  Do you need them or did your recordings go well?
Bill G. said: Soon Leo is going to remember himself, hand Jason's robot list to Pneuma, apologize and say " you pick one and I'll make it happen". For a moment I read that as "hand the robot list to Jason," and thought of all the ways that could end poorly ... 

Edited 1510182601
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Reminds me of&nbsp;<a href="https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/gundam/images/d/d8/Gf13-050nsw2.jpg" rel="nofollow">https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/gundam/images/d/d8/Gf13-050nsw2.jpg</a> (note: this is not fan-art, this is an actual official thing)
Bill G. said: (note: this is not fan-art, this is an actual official thing) G-Gundam was such a weird show.&nbsp; Still has a quote that is an in-joke with my friends when someone does something exceedingly stupid in the vein of "hold my beer."
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
As we go into the next session, Leo's going to have an additional worry on his mind. Jason: Alycia Chin, the psycho ex. Charlotte: Ghostheart, the one-person apocalyptic cult and stalker. Adam: Sablestar, the condescending anarchist. Harry: nobody specific, but arguably a combination him and Jason being famous got us Iconoclast and Troll during the interview. Leo: whoever did this to Pneuma. Almost everyone we fought so far, with the possible exception of the Farlander, is here because of us. "Would it have been better for everyone," he's going to ask himself, "if we'd just stayed quiet and kept to ourselves? Are we bringing trouble out of the woodwork and risking the public by being this team?"
"Would it have been better for everyone," he's going to ask himself, "if we'd just stayed quiet and kept to ourselves? Are we bringing trouble out of the woodwork and risking the public by being this team?" Ah, the old "Do superheroes generate supervillains / would the Joker exist without Batman / we never used to have all these metahuman threats before you folk showed up" trope. Tormenting super-heroes since 1963. :-) And particularly appropriate for teen heroes.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
For Ghost Girl (and friends):