Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Messing Around with Maps [Background] [Prep]

Edited 1515013549
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Nothing Canon, but something to give us a general agreed upon layout. Dunno yet about the Quill Compound location. The Cemetery in close up. Number 4 on this map only indicates direction, not location. It's further south.
I was actually just thinking about this after reading the thread on G+ a few minutes ago.  Is this just a Google Map?  I saw someone on there had made a pretty nice city map using the game Cities: Skylines .  Since it is on sale and I occasionally run modern games where making a custom map would be useful, I was planning on picking up the game and playing around with it.  Would you like me to report back on how the game handles for that purpose?
I was speaking of  this thread , by the way.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
I... may have also purchased that game today. And a few expansions. Let us conduct scientific research and compare notes! Also, yeah, this is totally just Google maps with a compass-twisted RL city.

Edited 1515013616
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
A zoom in on the random location. This one is where I randomly pinned the possible Quill Compound. Looks interesting, it's on an island, and it's shaped weird, which I know is a HUGE PLUS for Dave. :) :)
Looks very cool!
The Quill Compound is more industrial / less urban than I had envisioned, but not in any bad way. I'm cool with it. 

Edited 1515013243
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
*** Dave H. said: The Quill Compound is more industrial / less urban than I had envisioned, but not in any bad way. I'm cool with it.  Check out that second one I linked. Easy to imagine a massive solar array on the roof that pulls back for deploying hoverdisks. :) Not really a compound, though. Those are hard to find.
Is the goal to find someplace that looks from the sky like my headcanon Quill Block? I don't know that's necessary. I'm happy with just saying having a map and saying "Oh, it's over here in the city, and you better take the hoverdisc to school because commuting through Downtown to get to the Academy must really suck."
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Oh no, that's TOTALLY fine. I just like it to kiiiinda look right? If you squint? :)
FWIW, something closer to my headcanon for the Quill Block -- the Tower in mid-city surrounded by a conglomeration of different sized buildings -- warehouse / manufacturing structures, a small "Quill Museum" (because the Board expected it), and the Residence area (largely inward facing with some internal garden overlooks).  Floors indicated, but the buildings all have 2-6 sublevels. None of which looks like the nifty floorplan you worked up for the residence, either, but none of that particularly worries me. :-)

Edited 1515391884
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
What I've basically learned from messing around with Cities: Skylines is that my version of Halcyon would have a LOT of dog parks. I did see this building as a sort of cool 'weird shaped hippy science building' take on the quill compound. Warehouse absence notwithstanding. And I got a nice shot of part of the city skyline from the POV of a tourist. I wish I'd gotten video of that POV shot, because it was cool to see the blade of one of the wind turbines swooping by just above the high rises on the right.