Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Video [Recap] of the Between Sessions Big Reveals (session 22 and a half?)

Edited 1517164944
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Hmm. Image can't be a hyperlink, so... here ?
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
You narrate the Hecate meeting but said it was Numina there, rather than Pneuma. Other that that, that is a super rapid fire and entertaining summary.

Edited 1517167530
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Aww fiddlesticks. I listened to this probably five or six times and never noticed I got the name swapped. I'm looking forward to having Pneuma be Aria in general usage. :-)
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
My intent there is for "Aria Newman" to be her "Leo Snow" - her legal civilian name. Leo responds to "Link" as a superhero alias, and she will respond to "Pneuma" in the same spirit. Within the team she'll respond to either. You as GM can use whatever's easier on you. :) Numina will have to come up with her own legal name as well, assuming she survives Jason's interdimensional shenanigans and hasn't been turned into a hat-wearing simian or something.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
"So... wait. She's the monkey with the hat?" "No. The monkey is the monkey." "Then..." "She's inside the hat!"
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Small consolation, but I was able to edit Numina into Pneuma on the audio track that will go out as a podcast. (... in late July.) I don't have the mental stamina to tweak the audio on the video file, so I put an popup on the video in a couple places to point out I screwed it up.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Yeah, re-editing that would be a pain, even professional YouTubers I watch will just throw on an annotation, like you're saying.
Doyce T. said: "So... wait. She's the monkey with the hat?" "No. The monkey is the monkey." "Then..." "She's inside the hat!" Heh.
Thanks for the video -- went into more detail than I expected, but it's interesting getting your spin/summary of stuff. Two added comments: 1. The comment about the Problematic Pictures of Dr. Chin Zin out there. Holy crap, yes. It's ironic that the 1960s Jonny Quest, itself a repository of 1930s B-movie sensitivity to non-whites (yes, even counting Hadji), is far  less insulting toward Dr. Zin, visually (and even behaviorally), than the later incarnations of the cartoon in the 70s-90s. While Zin is a Fiendish Oriental Probably-Red Menacing Science Nemesis, he is portrayed more or less realistically in appearance (groovy / exotic cravat, or was it an ascot, notwithstanding). The more cartoony later renditions almost seemed straight out of WW2 propaganda against the Japs. It's ... odd. 2. "MISS Gender"-as-Hecate was probably also problematic, but made me laugh.
Numina will have to come up with her own legal name as well, assuming she survives Jason's interdimensional shenanigans and hasn't been turned into a hat-wearing simian or something. Okay, I might be mis-remembering this, but ... Otto and Pneuma both had their (one-word) names chosen for them by Leo, I believe. I'm pretty sure that's established for Otto, at least, and I have that impression about Pneuma from somewhere. Numina named herself . That doesn't mean she might not also create a legal name (esp. in the first-last format that US legal framework so wants to have), but it just strikes me as something important about her.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Miss Gender popped up in a LGBT support Tumblr I follow, in a TERF-defense thread. Just seemed too on the nose not to use. :) 
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
*** Dave H. said: Numina will have to come up with her own legal name as well, assuming she survives Jason's interdimensional shenanigans and hasn't been turned into a hat-wearing simian or something. Okay, I might be mis-remembering this, but ... Otto and Pneuma both had their (one-word) names chosen for them by Leo, I believe. I'm pretty sure that's established for Otto, at least, and I have that impression about Pneuma from somewhere. Numina named herself . That... Is a really cool point. 

Edited 1517205249
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Otto and Pneuma were named by Leo when they were created. Leo was in turn named that by his original parents. He chose his superhero name, and now his robots are choosing their own civilian names. I like the symmetry of it. Numina did self-name, but it's still clearly a derivative of Pneuma, back when the merge was still being discussed. It was distinct but close enough that a merge could fudge it in any reunited memories. I can't find it now, but a short anecdote I read online sums up Leo's attitude: "Your name is a gift from whoever brought you into the world. Like any gift, if it's no longer useful, you can stop using it and do something else, and it's okay." The bots always had the right to define themselves. It's a sign of their closeness that they chose not to.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Numina grumbles on the plane. "I can't use Aria, she's gonna use that. Jason, do you have any idea how hard it is to come up with a cool musical-themed name that sounds feminine and is also not a car model? God, Otto has it so easy, he wants a car model."
It's indeed nice symmetry, and I didn't mean anything negative by it. I just thought it was an interesting distinction that might color Numina's experience in choosing her next name. 

Edited 1517206805
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
*** Dave H. said: It's indeed nice symmetry, and I didn't mean anything negative by it. I just thought it was an interesting distinction that might color Numina's experience in choosing her next name.  It all sounded positive to me? It is a distinction, and it will affect her choice. She may decide to follow a different theme entirely than Pneuma did, either from willful difference or out of frustration as "also not a car model" indicates. :) Edit: I guess I didn't well articulate this: she did choose her own name, and the only reason she went with something Pneuma-ish and not further afield was the possibility-at-the-time of a merge. So circumstances gave her an alias that she might discard sooner or later, much to Doyce's relief. Or she might keep it, like a childhood nickname or something close friends call her, even if she graduates to something more personal.
Makes complete sense from all directions. And what we all know for certain is that the similarity of names is driving the GM to distraction, which is always to be encouraged. :-)