Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The just-for-fun That Other Team naming thread [RP] [Background] (Eventually)

Edited 1517374571
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
By popular demand. First, we'll go with the rejected names. The A-Team (instant lawsuit) A-holes (this earned Stingray a punch from A10) TeAm (only works when written, incredibly corny) A-ces ("Aces.. come on!" "That leaves TK out!" "Darling I'm already as out as it gets, I honestly don't mind the A theme.") Awesome Team (generic and boring, and yet another A-derivative name) Jacks (as in, the not-JHHLs, nobody was fond of this at all and the person suggesting it curled into a ball and died) Jackoffs (another punch) Metal (a vague attempt to reference Alloy's powers, A10's attitude, and Armiger's sword, nobody was impressed) T&A (this finally got Stingray a punch hard enough to shut him up) Gale Force ("we're not part of Streak & Tempest's family, Comet is just mentoring us") Junior Menagerie League ("oh please, we did fine, we're not their feeder team like SOME GROUP")
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
The names that happened AFTER A10 put her fist down (not on Stingray this time) and said "okay, enough, the letter A team names are not a thing, they're not gonna be a thing, get over it." The Bestiary ("we got an Animal, Alloy can become stuff, and A10's a Warthog--URGK--Yeah, you're right, bad idea") - ultimately rejected as too derivative of the Menagerie. Force Ten ("what?" "From Navarone. It's a movie. Harrison Ford and--" "No. Shut up and stop saying stupid shit.") Fairchild Force ("Are you GOD DAMN RETARDED?" "I thought you'd like it!") Lift and Separate ("what the FUCK?" "TK plus Armiger. You know? Levitating and cutting?" "You want to wear that pizza?" "No ma'am.") Asskickers ("no.") Assbeaters ("No!") Ass-- ("no more ass names, or I'll kick yours.") The Sharks ("what?" "They're a stingray's natural predators." "Why would I even care about that?") Night Witches ("what?" "They were this group of Russian bomber pilots in WW2, all women, did these crazy stunts--" "Stop. That part sounds cool. Now get to the part where any of us have anything to do with night, or are witches, or are all women." "Uh... ")
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Meanwhile, the Animal: Other JHHL members: Comet:
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
1. This is perfect. 2. Names are hard. I love how it's framed as a conversation that took place while you guys were eating pizza.
The rest of us.

Edited 1517416565
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
There were twenty pizzas waiting at Fatta a Mano when the teams showed up (the locals - and in fact most of the staff - call it Fat Man's). Comet orders another ten before they push enough tables together in the "birthday room" in the back, and mostly stays out of the smack talk and debate that bounces back and forth across the table as the food steadily dwindles. When enough pies are cleared out to make a few bare spots on the table, he asks for five extra large dessert pizzas and slides a folded piece of paper across the table to Andromeda. Andy puts her hand on it, frowning, then looks up at him, and back at the paper. Comet shrugs. Big conversationalists, these two. She picks up the paper, opens it, and reads, her eyes first narrowing, then widening. "What..." She shows the paper to TK, sitting on her left, then Harry, on her right. It's an AEGIS team registration form, the paper slightly yellowed, and more than slightly creased. No membership names or team leader were filled in - just the name. "The Irregulators?" Andy reads, her voice not much over a murmur. The table is quieting down as people notice something going on. The words carry. "There's a group from around here. Historial. The Regulators. It's --" "I know the history," Andy says, her eyes still riveted to the paper. Again, Comet shrugs. "I thought, if you couldn't come up with something you liked better..." He gestures toward the paper in a way that's probably meant to be casual. "That's available, if you want it." "Registered -" TK squints at the form. "1988? How?" "I... thought it was a cool name." Comet rocks his head from side to side, pulling a slice of apple-cinnamon-frosting 'pizza' off a pan as a server sets it down. "It never really worked out - Harry's dad got into the League, and I never found another good group that wasn't already established, so --" He takes a bite, his eyes not really meeting anyone else's. "Kept the registration up to date, though. Thought someone might be able to use it. Eventually." "It's a hell of a lot better than Menagerie," Stingray smirks. "It's better than our name, jevo ," Keri immediately replies, and Kelvin snorts and nods agreement before Stingray can say anything.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
"Team names are like costumes. You can wear it, or it'll wear you. Own whatever you pick. You can own this." That's Link's opinion anyway.

Edited 1517416870
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
[Tweaked the post to get the tenses in agreement and add Comet's lame "it's based on the regulators" explanation. :)]
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
A-10 looks at TK, who nods, then does the same with Alloy and Armiger. "Thank you," she whispers, echoed by her team mates.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I feel really weird for saying this, but Leo is gonna have to talk to Stingray about his attitude. Maybe that's the moment when you grow up, the moment where you realize you have to tell someone "stop acting like I did".
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Adults have influence over all teen heroes...  Leo has influence over all teen Heroes...  
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
OMG he's not Keith anymore, he's Shiro. "I'm not an adult! All the adults we know are assholes! You take that back!"
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Seriously though: if you want to have a side conversation with Stingray, post it up and we'll get that Provoke going. Successful or not, it'll be interesting as the semester starts up.
It looks  above like the official name is the Irregulators.  I'll note that the  wiki page has it as the Irregulars. Both references show up in other forum pages. (I've made a few corrections based on the wiki, but having seen this thread, I think the wiki is incorrect.)
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Yeah I just noticed that.
Topic came up when James used "Irregulators" in his story. Since I wasn't there for the discussion (I thought it came up during the ep I wasn't there), I couldn't say, but it made me look it up to confirm (I almost went in and tweaked the Wiki, but thought I would raise it here).
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I've updated all wiki references, moved the page to its proper name, and left redirects in accordingly.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author