Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Moments of Truth

Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
We've seen one Moment of Truth so far, from Concord. I feel he was Type 1 ("One who does things seriously") - methodical, efficient, with great attention to detail ("extend your arms"). I don't know who would be our Type 2 ("One who uses cheap techniques"). Leo will be Type 3.
Jason has a cheap (if costly) technique in mind. Actually, his player does. It's only a vague thought in Jason's mind. :-)
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Inspiration for Link's Moment of Truth two-parter. It all came from having to answer the question "if the Dread Queen is so unbeatable, how could we beat her?" Part 1, the three-way combination plowing through everything like a cannonball, came from a duel fought in the anime Gaiking. Daiya has a time limit on his Super Mode, and has to beat Nouza within that time. But he relays an important lesson: "It doesn't matter how strong you are. The ones who don't give up win in the end." Video: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnS6DuLix9c" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnS6DuLix9c</a> Daiya is an excellent Bull: upon being given his giant robot while fighting an enemy that took his father, literally his first question is: "what's the biggest weapon this thing has and how do I fire it?" Part 2, Link and Aria vs. the Dread Queen, comes from two places: DS9 (<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8MFp3-ebEQ" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8MFp3-ebEQ</a>) and All-Star Superman, where the Ultrasphinx poses an unanswerable riddle to Superman. What happens next is, I hope, a form of Superman's answer.
Oh, one of my favorite scenes from DS9.&nbsp; I appreciate the parallel with the scene.&nbsp; I can totally see the Dread Queen explaining to her subordinates about why she left the field of battle -- "I could not defeat the boy.&nbsp; All I could do is kill him..."
In retrospect, Jason 's MoT turned out to be different from what I think I had planned at the time -- but it was an eminently satisfying wrap on a plotline (or maybe two) that was far more important to him than fixing his mere mortality. I seriously want to see more repercussions of Charlotte 's MoT -- it was an amazing moment in-episode, and was really the point where Ghost Girl move to the forefront of the story -- but the (understandable) rush to get us out of the Sepiaverse seemed to render it (momentarily) less important. I hope to see that whole "loyalty to the dead" come to the fore sooner vs later. Leo 's MoT felt like a culmination of all of his personal passion and compassion, ironically juxtaposed onto a combat situation. Because everyone else was milling about in combat, it felt a bit more narratively driven than the previous two, but it was such a Leo solution to an insoluble problem that my hat's off. Also the fall-out in terms of the Menagerie being mooted as the negotiating power with the Vs was exquisitely complicating, esp. as things are in flux, so a tip of the hat to the GM for that. Adam 's MoT was a profound one, if almost overshadowed in the episode by Leo's coup de grace vs the Vyortovians. The personal impact for Adam is going to be very interesting (and painful) to see, even without the more direct conflict that the Concordance seems to be driving toward. I'll note that Harry has an MoT in his pocket. I'm dying to to see what moment warrants its revelation.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Mike said: Oh, one of my favorite scenes from DS9.&nbsp; I appreciate the parallel with the scene.&nbsp; I can totally see the Dread Queen explaining to her subordinates about why she left the field of battle -- "I could not defeat the boy.&nbsp; All I could do is kill him..." Wow, I love that line. Adams the Moment of Truth wasn't actually last night. His first moment of truth and so far only Moment of Truth was actually Saul's Moment of Truth back when they were fighting the gigantic cat and as a result Adams now in an older form, et cetera
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
*** Dave H. said: I seriously want to see more repercussions of Charlotte 's MoT -- it was an amazing moment in-episode, and was really the point where Ghost Girl move to the forefront of the story -- but the (understandable) rush to get us out of the Sepiaverse seemed to render it (momentarily) less important. I hope to see that whole "loyalty to the dead" come to the fore sooner vs later. No spoilers, but I I'm secretly hoping Margie likes it when [redacted].&nbsp; :-)
Doyce T. said: No spoilers, but I I'm secretly hoping Margie likes it when [redacted].&nbsp; :-) Part of what made it feel like it got rushed past was that we never did get to circle back to what you had intended post-26 for Charlotte and for Jason (which again was completely understandable, given the scope of what needed to happen), so I hope we can sneak that in at the beginning of 28. I look forward to [redacted] as well, though you might want to ping Margie on her thoughts of what the 26 impacts on Charlotte are (if you haven't already).
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
As I was saying to Margie just now, MoTs are really about revelations regarding the character. Sometimes, the revelations are immediate and obvious (Leo, Jason), and sometimes there more of a realization that dawns slowly. I'm aiming at that sort of thing for Charlotte - where the initial event was "cool", but it's later when you look back and think "oh. oh my ... oh crap..."