Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[5e OGL] Spiritual Weapon

When the cleric in our game uses the Spiritual Weapon in the Attacks & Spellcasting, it seems to use a spell slot each time they attack. Is there a way to get it to ask for spell level for damage but not take away a slot besides the initial casting?
If you are using the Companion script, you could set the ritual tag for the spell. By default the companion script doesn't track ritual spells. Otherwise, how would you expect to keep track of the initial casting versus secondary castings.
Try using the "Innate" field. It's very useful. If you enter a value in the "Innate" field on the spell, clicking it will not use a spell slot. You'll also see a gray notation on the character's Spell List that serves as a notation. In my games, I'll add 2 Spiritual Weapon listings, one for the initial casting and the other for an existing weapon. For the 2nd, I put "Existing" or somesuch in the Innate field to cue the player. This feature also works great for magic item spells, such as a Wand of Magic Missiles.
Thanks for the ideas everyone!