Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Folders in addition to Tags for ALL Resource Management

Score + 514
Yes, yes, and yes.  Especially for maps and for my marketplace purchases.
Agreed I would be especially excited to see macro folders soon. +1
Needs to happen, no timeline.
+1
Macro + Rollable Table + Jukebox folders would be right up my alley. Thanks
+1 Folders for Macro and Rollable Tables Plz, Would help alot. Specially when you are making macros for all your players. Btw A big thx to the development team to take time on answering the community ideas
+1 for a better way to organize the pages in my campaign. not only do i have a 10 year old homebrew world with many cities and locations that need organized by region for easier access. I also would like to organize my "random" locations by type. a folder for generic caves, generic forests, generic dungeons etc. We have been asking this for over 4 years at least from what i can see on the forums. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make Map folders!!!!!!!!!!
Nolan T. J. said: Needs to happen, no timeline. make a timeline! XD Just sneak it in on a post it to your main workflow white board :P
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
No timeline yet?
The page menu is larger now.
Gargamond said: The page menu is larger now. Having just checked the page toolbar in my own campaign, I still see no significant changes. There may be confusion over terminology here. When I say, "page," I mean the pages we create for maps and battle spaces for tokens. I do NOT mean other objects like character sheets or player notes or other shareable items. I mean specifically map pages.  And insofar as this entire thread might be talking about folders for map pages, which reading briefly over it kind of is in addition to other things, I give it my up vote.
+1 Because organization is good.
Me to thread: Stay alive no matter what occurs!  I WILL find you! Me also: jumps through waterfall.
I got some good karma earlier in the week that I'm not using.  Happy to pass this on to someone at roll20 in exchange for Macro Folders. 
So long as what is archived includes the folder that would be awesome. Returnning things from archive to have to refile it is tedeous. 
I'd also like to say we really need to bring back the drag and drop useability of the old image library system. The current one is a huge pain.
+1 to the folder for pages idea.  +1 to more organization!
I do not really understand what are the format of all the ressource so it's hard for me to vote for something. But before making a vote, I would say to 'scratch everything'. In my mind if this question comes in, it's because the ressource isn't mapped properly or there an overflow and the maping needs to be redonne. If that's the case, don't touch anything, delegate someone, give that person all the material/ressources that need to be in to restructured. Let that person comes up with a few idea on paper, than have a meeting.Two things can come out of it: 1- The ideas given doesn't hit the target needed. in which case the meeting will look upon how to either look at solution to reduce the flaw or come up with something else. 2- One of the idea is approved and then you can kill what is actually in place and replace it with the new mapping of the ressources. How to proceed on that matter is completely another story. I do not know where this is aim towards to or if it's a third option altogether. However this is my vote coming from experience as I work in an environment need restructuration of the ressource at almost all level. It's a slow process but results after the facts shows. Have a great day
+1 I use a possibly ridiculous amount of macros, and the ability to sort them into folders would be so HUGE for me. :)
Nolan T. J. said: Needs to happen, no timeline. Any news?
In another thread on a very similar (if not identical) discussion, one of the staff marked it complete while noting that it's not actually complete. That seems to miss the point of this: I really really need folders for my art assets.
+1
Bumpity-bump
+10
We still need this. 
Unbelievable this hasn't happened yet.
I just want folders for my maps :( +1
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
This suggestion spans a wide array of requests. The list is: Folders for Art Library - DONE Map Pages - In another high vote suggestion Jukebox - DONE Macros (under the settings tab)  Rollable Tables Decks "Folders" Behavior - Done Option to expand Folder to see/use contents Click option to collapse to hide contents and take up less space Ability to Transmogrify Asset folders Removing the items completed, the feature requests that remain are: Folders for: Macros Rollable Tables Decks Ability to Transmogrify Asset Folders The My Audio update releasing tomorrow will introduce a totally new interface to manage tracks and playlists. We expect that design will be part of the enhancement to these areas. After that launch, we will be measuring the impact My Audio and the rest of Bring Your Own Beat will have as far as media management.
First off, please do not remove Map Pages from this suggestion just because it exists in another. This is included in 'all resources' and should remain a priority. Secondly, the Art Library is not actually a folder system. It's an advanced form of tags, as shown by the fact that deleting a folder simply dumps all sub-assets into the main group. Please provide an actual folder system, such as every other modern system uses. Finally... thank you for an actual response to this request. Many people have been asking for many years for this, and this needs to happen, according to the Co-Founder and Managing Partner himself, Nolan T Jones, over a year ago: Nolan T. J.  said: Needs to happen, no timeline.
Bump. Please stay on this. My rollable tables are a mess, since you can't even sort them, and my macros are all over the place for the same reason. We need FOLDERS and the option to sort those things like the handouts.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Part of the Bring Your Own Beat update will be a new user interface to improve keeping track of audio files, playlists, and which games they are part of. We will be looking into how that preforms for you all, and use the lessons learned in that process to help make organization and portability of Macros, Rollable Tables, and Decks significantly better.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
The Bring Your Own Beat update is now on the Development Server (Pro link) for user testing. It includes some of the additional organizational features for playlists and audio files. We will be paying attention to how users leverage these features and how well they work to help us develop folders into the future.
+1
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
The Bring Your Own Beat update is now live and available to all users. We are observing how users are leveraging the organizational tools added to the Jukebox and My Audio to evaluate their performance. Once we have some solid data, we can further address organizing Macros, Rollable Tables, and Card Decks.
+1 I would love to see better orginzational tools for Macros. The Macro bar can only hold so many buttons!
+1 For better organisation of macros/rollable tables such as folders Seems odd that this has been 'in the pipeline' for quite a long time and not addressed. However, as the number of games a subscriber to Roll20 joins/runs increases, this quality of life improvement would be even more amazing.
+1 We need map folders, it is essential for a long campaign as the map tab gets to long
Yeah this would be critical. I have to scroll for like 30 solid seconds to get my maps half the time now.
I do wish there was a far better storage system like an actual folder or organized system. Something that you could filter what's taking the most memory or what session of yours is using what image to know if deleting an image will harm a campaign or not.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
My apologies for the time between updates. The way we implemented Audio File and Playlist management in the Bring Your Own Beat update has proven fairly successful. We've learned from that feature, and have planned the update for Token Markers  which we think is an improvement on the My Audio Tool. After we test the results of that update, I expect to update the Macros, Tables, and Decks to be used in a similar way.
Hey you can add me to the vote of adding folders!!!
bump for folders
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
The Token Marker update includes a newer design paradigm that seems to be working very well for resources that you might want to take with you between campaigns. You can read more about how that works on the Pro Forum , but the short version is that a Token Marker Set can be added/removed to a Campaign. It can then be updated and is kept in sync across all Campaigns where the Set is active. All of this adds a structure to the resources, and how they're managed. What are your thoughts on this style of control for Macros, Tables, and Decks?

Edited 1578029049
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Kenton said: What are your thoughts on this style of control for Macros, Tables, and Decks? That could be handy.  It would allow grouping of those things on a "per game system" basis if nothing else. Edit:  Just had a thought that it would be handy as long as you can still transmogrify in or create oddball ones without having to add it to a collection.  If it would lock you out of "one-off" things, it wouldn't be so nice in my opinion.
Kenton said: The Token Marker update includes a newer design paradigm that seems to be working very well for resources that you might want to take with you between campaigns. You can read more about how that works on the Pro Forum , but the short version is that a Token Marker Set can be added/removed to a Campaign. It can then be updated and is kept in sync across all Campaigns where the Set is active. All of this adds a structure to the resources, and how they're managed. What are your thoughts on this style of control for Macros, Tables, and Decks? My thought is: PLEASE! I have a "GM Studio" game where I keep all my GM tools such as tables. Not only is it a nightmare to organize right now (because I can't organize it without recreating everything), but I would really like to be able to easily create bundles to bring into other games I run.
+1 for map folders
+1 Macro Folders
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Custom Token Markers  have been available to all users on Roll20 for a few weeks now, and we are measuring the success organization and mobility. Now that the feature is out of a Beta stage, I'd love to hear feedback from other users.
Kenton said: What are your thoughts on this style of control for Macros, Tables, and Decks? And maybe handouts? Might be a way to "transmogrify" folders of handouts.