Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .

The new D&D 2024 sheet is now available!

Create a free account

[Free Audio Solution] How to use VoiceMeeter Banana and Discord to Play Background Music!

Edited 1550882179
Hey everyone! In the wake of several posts regarding this, here is a tutorial solution I have made for Free Users who would like to have the expanded audio capabilities which were offered by Fanburst integrations. This is effectively just turning yourself into a Discord music bot. I know this doesn't necessarily have much to do with the Roll20 Platform directly, but given that Fanburst is shutting down I feel as though this would be helpful for those who would like to use their own music in games. Full disclosure, I actually use the Roll20 audio system that they came out with (thanks, devs!). But this was something I troubleshot during the pre-release time where we didn't know how much expanded storage we were going to get. It was requested on the Roll20 subreddit that I make a visual tutorial, so here it is. I'll both attach the picture to the post (but because it will most likely be resized), you can click the linked text above to take you right to the Imgur file. Happy gaming! Edit: Here are the links to the software you'll need. And yeah, the image is definitely resized - just use the hyperlink at the top of the page. Voicemeeter Banana Virtual Audio Cable
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks, wax poetic. Hopefully this will help out a lot of folks. I've done some similar stuff on the Mac side with SoundFlower, but this looks considerably more powerful.
keithcurtis said: Thanks, wax poetic. Hopefully this will help out a lot of folks. I've done some similar stuff on the Mac side with SoundFlower, but this looks considerably more powerful. Is there a tutorial available for SoundFlower?  I'd love to pipe my Syrinscape sounds, but I've not been able to figure it out.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'll see if I can dig up my notes, but to be honest, I eventually figured it was more trouble than it was worth. Mostly I used it to create a virtual sound input (can't remember the actual term) so that I could wear headphones and still allow OBS to capture my voice and sound directly from the browser. It was very clunky.
keithcurtis said: I'll see if I can dig up my notes, but to be honest, I eventually figured it was more trouble than it was worth. Mostly I used it to create a virtual sound input (can't remember the actual term) so that I could wear headphones and still allow OBS to capture my voice and sound directly from the browser. It was very clunky. Oh yeah, doing audio routing on a computer usually ends up being clunky. I originally had this set up from when I used to stream with a friend but wanted to listen to music from YouTube that would get the VOD muted due to copyright. I used this to pipe music into my headphones only (and also to split our audio tracks to make mixing easier for cutting the stream into a YouTube video later).
It’s only more trouble than it’s worth when you have a better option that does what you want. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The notes I had followed for soundflower were on the OBS site . It was a step-by-step process, but I can't seem to find it anymore. There are more recent guides, but I can't vouch for them.