Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Lag issue

I have a pro membership and I just recently purchased the Lost Mines of Phandelver module. I've been experiencing extreme lag in my games and I just can't pinpoint the cause. I've already gone through all of the Roll20 lag troubleshooting steps and I've scoured the forums but I still can't seem to find the issue. I have a pretty good gaming pc that can handle the load, as well as fast internet. 106mbps DL 10.7 UL average. I want to say that my issue lies somewhere in dynamic lighting/has sight. I went through the first map, cragmaw cave and removed all NPCs, removed fog of war and left dynamic lighting on. After I did this, I didn't experience any lag. I dropped a player on the map and I could freely move the token around with no lag. Although, the night of the game I had 4 players and they were experiencing minor lag. I was just going to drag and drop NPCs as needed for encounters. As soon as I dropped the first NPC in, it began lagging. I took the token out and just dropped one of the free goblin tokens that aren't attached to a character sheet or handout. Just a plain token. I tried to move it around but still experienced lag. I even turned off the grid but I still had lag. The strange thing is, I once ran this campaign but completely created the maps and dynamic lighting manually from the ground up and didn't experience any lag. I've tried A LOT of different troubleshooting methods but I just can't figure it out. I know it's not my pc or internet connection. I want to be able to run my campaigns smoothly but this lag is driving me nuts! Any advice helps. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Try turning off Global Illumination if it is on.
Yup. Already tried that one too. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm. Do all npc tokens have sight and light turned off?
Hello The Dungeon Master, I am sorry to hear that you have encountered this issue with lag. To rule out potential issues and provide a baseline for assistance,  please carefully work through these steps of our guide to   Solving Technical Issues : Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome  and  Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable  all  add-ons/extensions. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through  Step 4 .  (Don't forget the name of your campaign and complete Console Log!) The information collected will help with diagnosing your issue. Thank you!
Hey guys. So far, clearing the cache has worked. I will update following the next game. I don't want to rule anything out until I have players actually in the game and there's no lag thereafter. Thanks for the help!