Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Make a whispered entry in the chat log public

Hi! I know how to change character or NPC rolls, or things like macros to either appear in public chat, visible to everybody, or as whisper to the GM, visible only to the GM. But if I take the analogy to things on the GM layer of a page, there I can "change layer", and make something previously secret now visible. I was wondering whether something similar is possible in chat. For example I have an adventure will macro for rollable tables that whisper things like random monster encounters to the GM. I would like to use those as is, whispering to the GM, nicely formatted, but if I agree with the result, I would like to make it visible to my players. If I make another macro that is public, and roll again, I won't get the same result. I tried copying the text and pasting it in the chat box, but then I lose the nice formatting. Any ideas?

Edited 1586062576
I can't think of a way to do that without using an API, and the API-dependent method is not quite what you describe, although I think it would have the effect you want.  API's are only available to Pro subscribers, though. In case you are considering the upgrade, here's how I think it can be done.  You could use an API like TokenMod to store the roll result in a token's field, probably a bar, immediately after you roll it.  That way it is stored for you to call it and show it to players if you choose.  Your macro would set the value of {selected|bar1_value} to the result of the rollable table, show it to you, and include a chat button to call another macro that takes the value from {selected|bar1_value} and formats it and displays it to players.  You could use any token to store the result, as long as bar1 is not being used for something else.  It would be overwritten by the next roll, unless you select a different token. Actually I tried it, and that doesn't work either because the macro output to chat happens before the rollable table call.  You would have have to have a macro that rolls and outputs a button to call the macro that then gives you the option to show players or re-roll.