Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Making a map that aligns to the hex grid

I'm trying to make a map that lines up with the hex grid on roll20, but am having trouble getting it to fit at all.  It seems to treat 1 unit hexes with the inner diameter at almost 70px but I'm not sure. Does anyone know a simple way to build a map that aligns to the hexes in the app?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Unfortunately, there is no simple way to align a hex grid map. When you get the map on Roll20 you can use the Set Dimensions tool to align it properly.This will take time as you make minute adjustments.  - Gauss
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
There is definitely something strange with the Hex grid.  I set the grid to Hex (H) and put a Hex token I had created on the map.  Then changed it to "Is Drawing" so it wouldn't try to snap anywhere.  Then resized it to fit just about perfectly in one hex on the grid.  I then changed the grid to Hex (V).  I rotated the token to orient with the grid and it was a different size. One way an individual Hex is about 75 pixels and with the other orientation of the grid a hex is about 80 pixels.  I would have thought both should be exactly the same.  Even the squares should be the same number of pixels as the Hexes.  So when you design a map and you make it 70pixels per inch then it will align perfectly if you are using 1 inch squares or 1 inch hexes.  Even a map with hexes printed on it should align on a square Roll20 grid in one direction.  And the opposite should be true as well. Also when using a hex grid and you size a token by units (1 unit x 1 unit) it is using the 70 pixels x 70 pixels definition from the square grid.  So of course none of your tokens will line up in the hex grid properly, they all get sized a little smaller. Or maybe I'm just missing something?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Unfortunately Konrad, you are not missing anything.  - Gauss