Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Looking for suggestions] How do you remember all of the available API commands?

So as I'm loading more scripts, I find that it gets harder to remember which ones I have loaded when I'm in the game, so I have a separate tab outside the game on the API loading page so I can reference the list of available scripts. I have token or macro buttons for several of my scripts (GroupInitiative, Torch, etc.) but others are more of something that I'm only using while I'm preparing a game, not while actively running it. I'm thinking that I'll probably build a chat macro to list all the currently loaded scripts, and have each listed script link to a separate chat macro list of the available script commands or the help topic for that script (if available).  But I'm hoping someone else has already figured this out and I can save myself the work?  I'm also noticing that my Collection macros list is getting quite long, so I'm thinking about how to reduce that -- perhaps if I keep my script macros in a 'macro mule' character sheet.  So how do you manage all of your scripts while in game?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I generally organize them as Macros.  I have "Game Setup" macros to the right on the bar, and "Game Running" macros to the left.  When I'm building, I scroll the macro bar to the right side, but generally, it's on the left side for running.  I also color code the buttons.
I store them mostly in a character sheet, then enable them on the macro quick bar, using emoji to save space. I try not to have to remember commands, except for stuff that's really simple, like !group-init or !cal. If it's something I need to use regularly, it goes on the toolbar.