Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
D&D 2024 has arrived! Pre-order the new core rulebooks now and get an exclusive pre-order bonus for free!
Create a free account

Dim global illumination?

Is there a way to set an entire map to be lit with dim light?   It looks like "Global Illumination" does bright light everywhere but this is too much for my purposes (prepping Death House for Curse of Strahd).
Not at this time, it has been requested for years.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
A couple of options spring to mind: Apply a black tint to the map graphic itself Use a  Mood Lighting Token Neither of these will darken tokens , but unless you are willing to go through and apply tints to all of them, either of these should be enough.
keithcurtis said: A couple of options spring to mind: Apply a black tint to the map graphic itself Use a  Mood Lighting Token Neither of these will darken tokens , but unless you are willing to go through and apply tints to all of them, either of these should be enough. Nice!  Tinting the map layer black appears to have done what I was after.  Also a nice way to have the "darkness" pass through LDL lines.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I don't think that's in the Stupid Tricks thread...
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Is your map one piece? you can set the entire thing to emit dim light on the Map layer, as you would a token on the Token layer
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Will that light both sides of a DL blocking line? I had always assumed "light was cast" from the center of a token, but have never actually tried it. 
I'll try that later. The map layer is all on piece so when I tinted it everything went dimmer, including across DL lines. I suppose technically the map is under the lines?
Just tried making the map layer emit dim light and it didn't work as hoped (i tested by dropping in a player token with no dark vision. As keithcurtis mentioned, the light is emitted from the centre of the map, so in this case a single room (room 34 in the below screenshot) got dim light but thanks to the LDL lines it didn't spread anywhere else. So the only option is to either tint the map layer and make it darker, or put a dim light-emitting hidden token in every room - which makes loading the map a lot more tiresome.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I like the map tinting option. It's a little more reliable than a  Mood Lighting Token , which can have issues if the token is off-screen. You can also put a semi transparent black square on the map layer, which would allow for more fine control. Global dim illumination might be nice to have, but it would likely come with its own performance hit, depending on other settings.