Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Looking for teacher

I am 100% new to tabletop RPGs however I am completely enthusiastic and willing to learn. I've skimmed over tutorials and have a basic understanding of how it works but I need help for the specifics. I have no preference for type/genre/setting what-have-you. I just need someone patient enough to walk me through a few campaigns until I get the hang of it. i AM looking for a group of people to play regularly with but due to the complexity of my work schedule, I can't give exact date to when I'm available more than a few days in advance. (i.e. I don't have every monday or tuesday off). I consider myself a pretty friendly guy as well as interactive. I'm open to any kind of VoIP program you want to use and am partial to Skype or TeamSpeak. I really want to play but don't know how and don't know anyone personally who does or is interested in learning with me. Any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.
You might want to look into Pathfinder Society games. Pathfinder is a fantasy game with rules for are it online. The"society" part is a bunch of one shot scenarios with that game system. Since you don't have a consistent schedule, Society let's you play just one session with one group when you're available and then take that same character of yours to play in another game with a different group some other time. Lots and lots of Society games around which you should be able to get into. The other thought would be to sit on some games just to see how they go and how they work.
I regularly Run tutorial games, aswell as simply just give lessons on how to play pathfinder. If you want just a "teacher" I can totally do that. Society is probably a good place for you though but I tend to find it restrictive
I also am new to tabletop RPG's, so I'd love to tag along with you Inddy.
A bit more info. I guess I do kinda have a preference. I'm not really into sci-fi. I mostly like medieval settings. Also while it's not a preference, I'm a little interested in D&D 3.5 just from some of the stories I've heard. Belenus, if you don't mind I would love to learn pathfinder or really any other game. If you want to hit me up in private chat that'd be great. We can sort out a plan for the first session. Sean, I don't mind you tagging along in the learning process, however, I can't vouch for any of the teachers. I got a few PMs from mulitple people interested in teaching so I don't plan to learn from just one person.
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
I have an essay where I list free tabletop RPGs for download. Though this is from Facebook, I made the link public. You may want to load up, and read the how-to-play and how to conduct a game sections in particular. There is a bewildering array of rules, past and present, I'll admit. <a href="https://www.facebook.com/notes/pierre-savoie/round" rel="nofollow">https://www.facebook.com/notes/pierre-savoie/round</a>...
There's only 1 step to learning: Pick up the rulebook and read. Don't ask people to teach you everything, just read. Everything you need to know is in the rulebooks for any system you want to learn. Not only is self-sufficience a quality everyone should strive for, but you also get the bonus of not having to ask for help every time you want to learn something new.

Edited 1405848169
Gotta disagree Askren, one 3-hour session is worth more than a month of reading rulebooks. I'm looking to do some D&D 5e 1-shots for beginners. If you're interested (Or anyone else, as a matter of fact), I could totally run something. Although, by the looks of it, you already have plenty of offers up; So i will emphasize the " Or anyone else " part. Feel free to PM me, those interested.

Edited 1405865958
I've put together an open gaming group where people host one-shots/short sessions and there are pick-up games every Friday night. Here is a link to the LFG posting: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/14638/bfrpg-gro" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/14638/bfrpg-gro</a>... New and experienced players and GMs are welcome. The system is Basic Fantasy Roleplaying Game (BFRPG). It is a rules-light remake of the style of D&D popular in the late 70's and early 80's (with some modern changes, such as separation of race and class and ascending AC). The rulebook and all supplements are available online for free (and print copies are sold at cost), and there is a great community both in the roll20 group and on the BFRPG forums that will help you learn RPGs. Here is a link to the game's website: <a href="http://www.basicfantasy.org/" rel="nofollow">http://www.basicfantasy.org/</a> .

Edited 1405865904
It's a good idea to skim the rulesbooks, but I think it is better to play first before reading them. The books will make a lot more sense once you have seen it in play. Eventually, you will want to learn the rules, but most people won't expect you to read several 400 page books (in the case of pathfinder and 3E/4E d&d) before you start playing. Also, D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder are more or less the same game. There are some rule changes, and the classes and races are a little different, but if you like one, you will most likely like the other. Edit: System comparisons for new players probably aren't appropriate for the LFG forums so I deleted that paragraph.
I'm always welcome and willing to put together demos and instructional games for new players and new games for old players. My work schedule is also pretty messed up, so hopefully something can be worked out. I should note that I mostly stay at least 10 yards away from D&D and almost any derivative ate all times (long story). I grew up as a gamer not being introduced to D&D, but rather a great deal of other games that were available. While I did play D&D later, I have always played a variety of other games, which let me learn about what else was out there and helped me identify rules and playstyles I prefer to play with.. To facilitate one-off instructional games, there are a handful of games I've been turning to lately that are fairly easy to learn because of simple rules and ease of play. Many of these games also include rules that can help players develop important skills that might not be well emphasized in other games. One such game is Golden Sky Stories , a sort of modern day urban fantasy game about magical shapeshifting (but otherwise normal) animals that help humans, spirits, and other animals with their problems. It's a very charming game that showcases the basics of roleplaying very well, since play is about interacting with other beings rather than fighting things and robbing them (both are fun, but can be very... unstimulating). Other games I might look at include Fantasy Flight Games' Star Wars line (where dice rolls don't create simple "yes-no" binary results, allowing players and the GM to narrate exciting and unique scenes that are all grounded in play), Barbarians of Lemuria (one aspect of which lets players have prior careers that they narratively draw on throughout play instead of having to predefine every detail of what the character can and cannot do), and other similar games that are easy to learn or help build player skills. While D&D is well supported and popular, I personally don't feel that anything it does is well suited to new players. If you think you might be interested in any of that, or want to talk more, just drop me a line.
This may not fall in the scope of your post or an LFG thread for that matter, but I'll post my method for elucidation: When learning new systems I try to read the book once, just trying to understand the basis of the mechanics. Then, when I'm like 40% proficient i start running one-shots and let the pressure/situation help build in up to about 60-70% proficiency. After which point i start up a campaign and keep learning through trial and error. I think it's a bit difficult to pick up the ins and out of a game by reading alone. All that having been said, feel free to pm me for tips and questions etc. Though as others have pointed out, seems like you have a lot of folks in your corner already.