Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Script]Teleport alternative request

I have this really neat idea for my next campaign where inventory is managed via card decks.  In order to pull this off I need the players to have a larger card area and a place to store things.  I already utilize the actual Teleport api in my session.  I'd use it to pull off what I need but it puts the origin token in the gm layer in the top left, I don't want that.  I just want the player moved to a new page that is all, and moved back to the ribbon later.  I even want it to be under their control.  Essentially what they'd be doing is clicking a button that sends them to their "inventory" which is a page with art designed around offloading their various inventory cards that are in backpacks or just not needed to be held at the moment during session.  They can go to it and return to the ribbon at will.  I will also have a setup where during downtime off session, the landing page will have a token for them to teleport to their inventory page to manage it if they want.  If there is a script out there that already does this could someone point me to it and let me know if its compatible with having the already very awesome teleport api enabled alongside it?
I think the MapChange script will do what you want.
Do you know if this will have any adverse interactions with the teleport api?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
DM Eddie said: I'd use it to pull off what I need but it puts the origin token in the gm layer in the top left, I don't want that.  I just want the player moved to a new page that is all, and moved back to the ribbon later.  I even want it to be under their control. ... ...I will also have a setup where during downtime off session, the landing page will have a token for them to teleport to their inventory page to manage it if they want. The Teleport API can be adjusted to let players freely move between pages, the API has solid documentation so it should be possible to pull it of, even if it might take some time to figure out how to set it up. I assume you're looking for alternatives that does what you want right away, instead of trying to figure out how to use the Teleport script? I know it's an API I want to take time to look into and figure out, but it's kinda intimidating in complexity and size, so just haven't got around to do it, even if it seems to have extensive documentation on how to use it. Kinda same situation with any other scripts on the more complex size like PowerCards or Zero Frame Meta Toolbox .
DM Eddie said: Do you know if this will have any adverse interactions with the teleport api? I don't think it should, but I haven't used Teleport so I'm not 100% sure.  Neither script has any 'passive'  changes that are activated on players changing pages or anything like that, so I can't see how they'd interact. MapChange simply moves the player to another page, but doesn't interact with tokens. I have mine set up with a simple macro for players to select moving to the landing page, overland map page, or 'rejoin party'.  Teleport is more focused on moving tokens around (and pinging the player's view or moving the player view to another page if needed). !mc ?{Which Page?|Rejoin Group,rejoin|Landing Page,move --target Landing Page|Map of Sword Coast,move --target Sword Coast}
Andreas J. said: DM Eddie said: I'd use it to pull off what I need but it puts the origin token in the gm layer in the top left, I don't want that.  I just want the player moved to a new page that is all, and moved back to the ribbon later.  I even want it to be under their control. ... ...I will also have a setup where during downtime off session, the landing page will have a token for them to teleport to their inventory page to manage it if they want. The Teleport API can be adjusted to let players freely move between pages, the API has solid documentation so it should be possible to pull it of, even if it might take some time to figure out how to set it up. I assume you're looking for alternatives that does what you want right away, instead of trying to figure out how to use the Teleport script? I know it's an API I want to take time to look into and figure out, but it's kinda intimidating in complexity and size, so just haven't got around to do it, even if it seems to have extensive documentation on how to use it. Kinda same situation with any other scripts on the more complex size like PowerCards or Zero Frame Meta Toolbox . Teleport api can't return a seperated player to the ribbon, only to where teleport tokens are all around the session.  In my scenario I want the player to simply load different pages and have it not be linked to their tokens or tokens I setup at all.  It would seem that Mapchange api was the script I was looking for, it does exactly that.  I already use teleport api extensively in my session and the documentation looks forebodingly huge but its really honestly a very very simple api once you figure the structure of it out and develop a system of naming teleport pads to help you visualize the network they are in.  I setup a 6 level castle map system really fast with 30 pads total between the 6 maps in a matter of 30 minutes and now its saved forever in my session and whenever I pull it for future players it works even when stored elsewhere with transmog.  Thats the coolest part about teleport, it persists through transmog if you never clear its state from the sandbox.  
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Apologies, seems I overestimated it's capabilities and didn't know what I was talking about. Thats the coolest part about teleport, it persists through transmog if you never clear its state from the sandbox. Wow, that takes the script to a whole new level if teleport settings persist! I already use teleport api extensively in my session and the documentation looks forebodingly huge but its really honestly a very very simple api once you figure the structure of it out and develop a system of naming teleport pads to help you visualize the network they are in. Yeah, I really should just start form a simple example and then work myself up until I can create a solid player-operateable Stargate system :D
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can also try this if you want to stick with cards: Bigger Card Hand  -  [install]
keithcurtis said: You can also try this if you want to stick with cards: Bigger Card Hand  -  [install] I would love any suggestions for card handling in r20 api wise or other.  I already have peek and dealer.   @keith:  Your dealer api script can't handle inline rolls for amount of cards, I get around this by making every dealer command that needs it a chat button with the inline roll in the button and I click the button that many times.  
Wow took me waaaay too long to realize I was missing the actual install button on the page.  They need to change their color scheme or layout of the pages there lol.  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
DM Eddie said: @keith:  Your dealer api script can't handle inline rolls for amount of cards, I get around this by making every dealer command that needs it a chat button with the inline roll in the button and I click the button that many times.   I'm not surprised. That was my first script. :D
keithcurtis said: DM Eddie said: @keith:  Your dealer api script can't handle inline rolls for amount of cards, I get around this by making every dealer command that needs it a chat button with the inline roll in the button and I click the button that many times.   I'm not surprised. That was my first script. :D I dunno how anyone would use the cards feature of the vtt without it lol.  The vanilla system seems so clunky and hard to deal with.  
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
DM Eddie said: @keith:  Your dealer api script can't handle inline rolls for amount of cards, I get around this by making every dealer command that needs it a chat button with the inline roll in the button and I click the button that many times.   If all you're looking for is a number in the command line, ZeroFrame can extract an inline roll value right in your dealer script call using the  .value  construction: [[1d20]].value ...or... $[[0]].value