Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Single Token to Represent Party for Dungeon Travel

While talking to my husband about DMing he gave me a really great idea to implement for exploring large dungeon areas. In an effort to prevent a "herding cats" scenario while also giving my players a visual to look at, I wanted to create a single token that I can move through the dungeon based on the party's choices rather than having their individual tokens running amuck. While trying to create and test this, however, it does not seem to work the way I hoped based on my settings in the attached image. I make the token a light source that all players can see, using the groups sort of average "vision" as a guideline that I could adjust as needed. I then logged into my test-player account to see if the test player could see it and see everything it lit up in the dungeon room, but unfortunately it doesn't show up at all. Is this because the party still needs to put their tokens on the page? Or am I just doing something wrong? Ideally, every player could just watch this single token move through the map as I push it along and open doors along the way. Then when we get into combat, everyone could put their tokens down for the fight based on the decided marching order. Any help making this work would be greatly appreciated! (Yes, I still use Legacy Lighting for both the tokens and the maps, because in my experience the Updated Dynamic Lighting is still extremely buggy. However I will try that next if no other troubleshooting seems to work.)

Edited 1619014682
You need to allow them to edit and control.  Alternatively you might be able to sorta hack the system by placing blind invisible tokens hidden away in a corner in the token layer with them having full control.  There is a great script called "Marching Order" that I run in my sessions that solves the "herding cats" issue.  Requires Pro though.  I do the invisible token hack for my party token on hexploration maps.  
Allowing Edit and Control definitely worked! Thanks for the quick response. I'll check out the script as well. My players definitely won't move the token around if I tell them not to, glad that this solution is viable. Thank you!
If you do have access to pro and want marching order, even if you don't like its default function, you can actually yoink out the "follow" button into a token action which is by far the most used part of the script by my campaign players.  What you do is you click the follow button in the UI, then shift up the chat box to get its syntax and make a token action macro out of that syntax and bam, you have "auto follow" for the guys who like to afk or not lead the way.