Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

about getting into new games.

Hello I'm new to DnD and to this forum and I'm wondering how quickly do you tend get into new games since the applications thread for a few games I saw posts that exceed the needed amount of players for the game.  
Hi Thomas, the quick answer is that it usually takes some time.  Here's my generic advice to new players looking to get started: You can find games both in the Looking for Group forum and through the "Join a Game" tab. The best advice I can give a new player here is BE PATIENT and be open to games other than 5E. 5E games are very popular. You will notice pretty much any 5E game in a good time slot will often have upwards of 50 applicants or more. All competing for 4 to 6 slots. You probably won't get accepted into the first game you apply to, nor your second, third, or eighth. Applying to games is somewhat of an art and I'll go into that a bit more below. Keep in mind, for pretty much any game, the GM will most likely NOT let you know you didn't get picked. Only the selected candidates usually get contacted by a GM. Don't take this personally. It's usually just too much work for a GM to send out 50 "Sorry" messages and they can't leave a general post in the LFG because it won't be visible as soon as the group is filled.   On the other hand, there are a number of non-5E games out there you can cut your teeth on and get into relatively easily. There are a lot of fun systems out there now that are not D&D so just explore the Join Game section if you want.   Some tips: 1. Pay attention to the game ad or listing and make sure you answer any questions the GM raises in there. If there's an application, be sure to answer all the questions. You don't need to write an essay but make sure the GM can get a feel for you as a player based on your responses. Good GMs don't take players first come, first serve. They're usually more interested in your characteristics as a player rather than your proposed character.   2. It's okay to apply to multiple games at once.  3. Don't get discouraged if you never hear from a GM about your application. Some people will let you know you didn't make it but most will just contact the people they are interested in selecting. 4. Pay attention to other players' applications and see what you can learn from them. If the GM has already picked some players for the game, see if you can find their applications in the listing and look for the things that seem to set them apart from the rest of the crowd. Learn from them what makes an application successful as you browse the game listings. 5. Look for GMs who seem to be picky about who they choose. This tends to make for a better game experience if you get in. 6. If you're anxious to get started ASAP, pay to play is an option. You can find those games in the game listings and here in the forum. There's usually little to no application process as long as you have the cash. In my experience, game quality is usually as good but no better really than most responsible free GMs here. Its main advantage is being easy to get into one. 7. Don't give up. Don't get discouraged if your first games fall apart or aren't good. It can take a little while but eventually you will find the right games for you.  8. When using the Group Finder, don't tick off the Welcomes New Players Only box. A lot of people forget to set this when they list their game and fully 95% of GMs are open to new players as long as you're willing to make an effort to learn. Do tick off the Mature Content box. This isn't for ERP or erotic games. It typically means the game may not be suitable for young folks or people with highly sensitive ears. Adult language is expected, the game may touch on "adult" topics like drinking, drugs, etc. It's also commonly used in horror setting games because of depictions of graphic violence, etc.
so why exactly does it say that there is only one player but yet there is around 50 postings 
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
The person running the game still needs to individually join people to the game.  The number of postings has nothing to do with the number of people actually invited to the game as players, except to show your likelihood of getting chosen during the application process.
What Kraynic said.  Also, generally speaking, you can ignore application posts that are one liners like "I wanna play in your game!" because they are typically ignored by GMs.  So your odds aren't as bad as they look at first glance usually. 
Gold
Forum Champion
Keep your efforts up! It can take a couple weeks to a few weeks of searching, applying, communicating, to find one that works & get into it.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I always get lots of applications from people who "fail to launch". Don't be discouraged! 
Join our multi-game Discord server. It's basically a West March style game with lots of DMs, with multiple games a day. All games are played through Roll20 <a href="https://discord.gg/MzTU4jXY" rel="nofollow">https://discord.gg/MzTU4jXY</a>