Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macro for rolling 7 sets of ability scores and keeping the highest 6 (or dropping the lowest set).

Hello, using the popular 5e 4d6d1 command I adapted mine to roll 3d6 and reroll 1s.  I have that working, but it is 7 sets of dice, and I want to keep the highest 6, not keep all 7. I've been trying things and searched on the forums for about 45 minutes but I have come up empty handed. Help? This is what I have &{template:default} {{name= Ability Scores}} {{[[3d6r<1]][[3d6r<1]][[3d6r<1]][[3d6r<1]][[3d6r<1]][[3d6r<1]][[3d6r<1]]}}
I don't think you can pull it off without api access.  You could just try an avrae bot in a discord channel.  I think it has alot more options then the quantum roller.  
DM Eddie said: I don't think you can pull it off without api access.  You could just try an avrae bot in a discord channel.  I think it has a lot more options then the quantum roller.   Ah  okay. I will keep trying, hypothetically if I am stubborn enough to get this sorted out and I get API access, what would I do?

Edited 1619406120
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
There is syntax for keeping the highest 6 or dropping the lowest one, but that is for summing the rolls which isn't helpful in this case.  It won't make the lowest one not show, it just doesn't include it in the sum.  You can sort dice in a single bulk roll (low to high or high to low), but I'm not sure if you can sort grouped rolls like this.  If you can, I didn't hit upon the correct syntax to make that happen. On the other hand, they are printed out in a row, so it is pretty easy to just drop the lowest one like you would rolling up the character in person. Edit: This was all just with the regular dice roller.  Api scripts are quite a different story, and it wouldn't surprise me if something like PowerCards or the newer version called ScriptCards can already do this sort of thing.
Mack D. said: DM Eddie said: I don't think you can pull it off without api access.  You could just try an avrae bot in a discord channel.  I think it has a lot more options then the quantum roller.   Ah  okay. I will keep trying, hypothetically if I am stubborn enough to get this sorted out and I get API access, what would I do? I was thinking cause Powercards gives us the XPND option in a roll equation and if you combined that with summing them, then you could see them in a mouseover but it'd still be pretty ugly looking.  I think your best bet is to just get an xcel sheet and setup the rolls in there and sort the column and drop the lowest.  Or just do it in your head, sometimes a macro is not as efficient as simply doing it in your head.  Thats mainly why Toll the Dead is always done lazily on sheets, I once tried to do it right and realized the amount of work put into the macro just wasn't worth it lol.  
DM Eddie said: Mack D. said: DM Eddie said: I don't think you can pull it off without api access.  You could just try an avrae bot in a discord channel.  I think it has a lot more options then the quantum roller.   Ah  okay. I will keep trying, hypothetically if I am stubborn enough to get this sorted out and I get API access, what would I do? I was thinking cause Powercards gives us the XPND option in a roll equation and if you combined that with summing them, then you could see them in a mouseover but it'd still be pretty ugly looking.  I think your best bet is to just get an xcel sheet and setup the rolls in there and sort the column and drop the lowest.  Or just do it in your head, sometimes a macro is not as efficient as simply doing it in your head.  Thats mainly why Toll the Dead is always done lazily on sheets, I once tried to do it right and realized the amount of work put into the macro just wasn't worth it lol.   Thanks Eddie. Yea I've usually gone the manual route, so I wanted to try to automate it to some extent. Was watching a player do it yesterday and it's a bit cumbersome with the rerolls. I have them now just use the macro, and then drop the lowest number manually.
Mack D. said: Hello, using the popular 5e 4d6d1 command I adapted mine to roll 3d6 and reroll 1s.  I have that working, but it is 7 sets of dice, and I want to keep the highest 6, not keep all 7. I've been trying things and searched on the forums for about 45 minutes but I have come up empty handed. Help? This is what I have &{template:default} {{name= Ability Scores}} {{[[3d6r<1]][[3d6r<1]][[3d6r<1]][[3d6r<1]][[3d6r<1]][[3d6r<1]][[3d6r<1]]}} So, this is what the Charactermancer does: &{template:mancerroll} {{title=Roll for Stats}} {{r1=[[4d6dl1]]}} {{r2=[[4d6dl1]]}} {{r3=[[4d6dl1]]}} {{r4=[[4d6dl1]]}} {{r5=[[4d6dl1]]}} {{r6=[[4d6dl1]]}} {{r7=[[4d6dl1]]}} You can put them in a vertical order with the default template: &{template:default} {{name=Roll for Stats}} {{r1=[[4d6dl1]]}} {{r2=[[4d6dl1]]}} {{r3=[[4d6dl1]]}} {{r4=[[4d6dl1]]}} {{r5=[[4d6dl1]]}} {{r6=[[4d6dl1]]}} {{r7=[[4d6dl1]]}} That would be Your way with 3d6 and reroll 1: &{template:default} {{name=Roll for Stats}} {{1 Roll=[[3d6r<1]]}} {{2 Roll=[[3d6r<1]]}} {{3 Roll=[[3d6r<1]]}} {{4 Roll=[[3d6r<1]]}} {{5 Roll=[[3d6r<1]]}} {{6 Roll=[[3d6r<1]]}} {{7 Roll=[[3d6r<1]]}} At the End - you have to choose your 6 highest by sight. Greetings
Here are two macros I use The first rolls 4d6kh3 for each stat &{template:simple} {{charname=Stat Rolls}} {{rname=Rolls}} {{mod=4d6kh3}} {{r1=Total:[[[[4d6kh3]]+[[4d6kh3]]+[[4d6kh3]]+[[4d6kh3]]+[[4d6kh3]]+[[4d6kh3]]]] Average: [[72]] $[[0]] $[[1]] $[[2]] $[[3]] $[[4]] $[[5]]}} {{normal=0}} And this one that rolls 2 sets of 3d6 and keeps the highest one &{template:simple} {{charname=Stat Rolls}} {{rname=Rolls}} {{mod=Best of 2 3d6}} {{r1=Total:[[[[{3d6cs>6cf<0,3d6cs>6cf<0}kh1]]+[[{3d6cs>6cf<0,3d6cs>6cf<0}kh1]]+[[{3d6cs>6cf<0,3d6cs>6cf<0}kh1]]+[[{3d6cs>6cf<0,3d6cs>6cf<0}kh1]]+[[{3d6cs>6cf<0,3d6cs>6cf<0}kh1]]+[[{3d6cs>6cf<0,3d6cs>6cf<0}kh1]]]] Average: [[72]] $[[0]] $[[1]] $[[2]] $[[3]] $[[4]] $[[5]]}} {{normal=0}}   I put the total and average into these so the player knows how good the rolls are.  I let them roll twice in any combination of the 2 options and take the one they think is best.
My Gm uses this one when a character dies for the new character.  It's more "brutal" because it rolls 4d6kh3, but it rolls for the specific stats and you are stuck with it unless the group agrees you can have an additional roll. &{template:simple} {{charname=Stat Rolls}} {{rname=Rolls}} {{mod=4d6kh3}} {{r1=Str [[{4d6kh3,4d6kh3}kh1]] Dex [[{4d6kh3,4d6kh3}kh1]] Con [[{4d6kh3,4d6kh3}kh1]] Int [[{4d6kh3,4d6kh3}kh1]] Wis [[{4d6kh3,4d6kh3}kh1]] Cha [[{4d6kh3,4d6kh3}kh1]]}} {{normal=0}}  (though I will admit I would LOVE to get a roll this good in a real game, they are usually not this good)