Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

I bought Icewind Dale module on market place, should i buy extra stuff for the campaign or it's useless?

Hello! I bought the Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden as a gift to my dm. I was looking into the marketplace and theres a bunch of extra stuff like tokens, maps, artwork for roll20 like weather and stuff. So should i buy a couple of these too? or is it gonna be useless with the module? any recomendations? Thank you!
Gold
Forum Champion
The module has PLENTY contained within it. Lots of material. So much. Tons of maps and tokens are in there already. Yes, you can buy additional Marketplace assets, and yes they CAN be used with Rime of the Frostmaiden, and any other future campaigns you run or create. You don't need to buy anything additional, Rime of Frostmaiden is fully functional on Roll20 with just that 1 product.
Thank you very much! is there anything in particular that you enjoyed using as an extra? like weather effects or especially cool maps or tokens? or any kind of additional material?  thank you 
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
There's tons of extras, you don't NEED them but if you want them, go ahead, buy some snowstorms. Since you aren't running the game I'd say you'd be better off gifting your DM $20 so they can chose.
amazing thank you very much!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
My GM bought some snowy random battlemaps, for random and wilderness encounters described in the book, but for which no maps were created by WotC. (He's not comfortable with Theatre of the Mind). Similarly, common areas to any campaign are valuable: An inn, for example.
Sebastien L. said: is there anything in particular that you enjoyed using as an extra? like weather effects or especially cool maps or tokens? or any kind of additional material? Just be aware that depending on all of your internet connections and type of computers, weather effects can cause alot of lag.  They are fun and set the scene, but can cause more issues then it worth
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Marcel said: Sebastien L. said: is there anything in particular that you enjoyed using as an extra? like weather effects or especially cool maps or tokens? or any kind of additional material? Just be aware that depending on all of your internet connections and type of computers, weather effects can cause alot of lag.  They are fun and set the scene, but can cause more issues then it worth Yeah, check with your players first before using animated ones. I had a game once where the animated water bogged it down too much to run well. If you use flat ones you can always bake them into the map by combining the map and effect in Photopea or another photo editor.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That happened to me with PageFX (script that keeps an FX persistent, for like a campfire). Nearly lost control of the game it was so laggy. Of course, this was 3-4 years ago.
Tiffany M. said: There's tons of extras, you don't NEED them but if you want them, go ahead, buy some snowstorms. Since you aren't running the game I'd say you'd be better off gifting your DM $20 so they can chose. The problem there is Roll20 does not allow you to gift DMs money.  You can either buy them a specific item or you can buy them subscription time but you cannot get them the equivalent of a gift card for some bizarre reason.
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Jesse said: The problem there is Roll20 does not allow you to gift DMs money.  You can either buy them a specific item or you can buy them subscription time but you cannot get them the equivalent of a gift card for some bizarre reason. Yeah, I know. T_T But you can give them Paypal money to buy Roll20 marketplace items if they say they would like to get some of them... basically have them take a look and then decide if they want things, price out what they want, and then give them the money to cover the purchase.
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Jesse said: Tiffany M. said: There's tons of extras, you don't NEED them but if you want them, go ahead, buy some snowstorms. Since you aren't running the game I'd say you'd be better off gifting your DM $20 so they can chose. The problem there is Roll20 does not allow you to gift DMs money.  You can either buy them a specific item or you can buy them subscription time but you cannot get them the equivalent of a gift card for some bizarre reason. There's also wishlists! You can always add something to your wishlist and share that with your group! Or set up a forum post in your campaign (or Discord server) and put links to things you want there. I do agree though, the ability to gift credit to DMs would be incredibly useful!

Edited 1619652462
Gold
Forum Champion
keithcurtis said: My GM bought some snowy random battlemaps, for random and wilderness encounters described in the book, but for which no maps were created by WotC. (He's not comfortable with Theatre of the Mind). Similarly, common areas to any campaign are valuable: An inn, for example. Same here, my GM did the exact same.  The non-Frostmaiden pages he added to our Frostmaiden game were the interiors of 2-3 Inns/Taverns, and several wintery outdoor "random battle" maps.  He added some Isometric outdoor maps & isometric tokens, and ended up making 1 of the Goblin seige-wagon scenes from the module on that. It looked great in isometric.  3 PC's died in a blizzard after that battle left us wounded and resting there. Oh goodness. I happen to have a Screenshot on hand. The "Player Art Handout" shown below is official WoTC Frostmaiden. The isometric map on the VTT is an added-map that our GM assembled to compliment Frostmaiden.  Look at how he stacked up the mine-carts to remake the goblin wagon. Sad part is the 3 characters on the top-left assaulted that wagon, got injured but drove it away. We rested in that snowbank on the right. A blizzard came in the night. They dead.  Screenshot of our Rime Of The Frostmaiden game on roll20 with added Marketplace content We also tried an animated Snowfall (weather effect) but it had some glitches and GM removed it.  Great idea, looks great when it's working, but those large animations were sometimes switching their "transparent" pixels to BLACK pixels under certain conditions (flipping to other windows/tabs and then returning to the VTT, seemed to cause that in Chrome).  It's worth a try but really not important to add animated weather IMO.
I bought a set of top down arctic tokens because one of them was a goblin war sled (also a dog sled). I don't normally use top down tokens, except for vehicles, so they were perfect. And I was able to download them to my PC and customize them with paint.net. But for maps, since a blank page is white by default, I found some free assets by searching in the art library and made a page to reuse the assets; This is one of my random battle maps (post battle). This one I used a snow texture tile but mostly I used just the white background; If you have the money, though, do support the artists in the marketplace.
Thanks a bunch! those blood stains look great btw, is that included in roll20 or you buy them? Doug E. said: I bought a set of top down arctic tokens because one of them was a goblin war sled (also a dog sled). I don't normally use top down tokens, except for vehicles, so they were perfect. And I was able to download them to my PC and customize them with paint.net. But for maps, since a blank page is white by default, I found some free assets by searching in the art library and made a page to reuse the assets; This is one of my random battle maps (post battle). This one I used a snow texture tile but mostly I used just the white background; If you have the money, though, do support the artists in the marketplace.
very good advice thanks a lot! Marcel said: Sebastien L. said: is there anything in particular that you enjoyed using as an extra? like weather effects or especially cool maps or tokens? or any kind of additional material? Just be aware that depending on all of your internet connections and type of computers, weather effects can cause alot of lag.  They are fun and set the scene, but can cause more issues then it worth
You can buy map packs with blood stains in them but these are found by searching the art library and using them with a script that automatically "spills blood" when the HP bar is reduced. Sebastien L. said: Thanks a bunch! those blood stains look great btw, is that included in roll20 or you buy them? Doug E. said: I bought a set of top down arctic tokens because one of them was a goblin war sled (also a dog sled). I don't normally use top down tokens, except for vehicles, so they were perfect. And I was able to download them to my PC and customize them with paint.net. But for maps, since a blank page is white by default, I found some free assets by searching in the art library and made a page to reuse the assets; This is one of my random battle maps (post battle). This one I used a snow texture tile but mostly I used just the white background; If you have the money, though, do support the artists in the marketplace.