Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Script] Simple Surges

Edited 1619548340
Hey guys, So I wrote this little "Simple Surges" script for the wild magic sorc in my current campaign and thought I'd share it here since I'm pretty sure I have it in a place that's completely agnostic of the game at this point. I wrote this because rolling for surges, while always fun, was slowing down the game. We would stop while the player would make the roll, then forget if we were looking for a 1 or a 20/10, then if he DID get a surge, we would need to make a second roll. SimpleSurges puts all of that into a single super easy macro that my players love. Simple Surges Requirements - You'll need a rollable table containing your wild magic surges. This allows for fast in game customization of your surge table that's independant of the script. I prefer this method to having the surges be built into the script because a rollable table is easier to manipulate than a .js file (usually... kind of...). It also lets you just pass in the name of a different table if you want to change things up. Maybe use different tables for different wild magic mages! It also keeps it system agnostic. I only use it for D&D 5e, but I don't see any reason it shouldn't work for any other system. Personally I use tableExport to build massive wild magic table spread sheets then import them into Roll20 Usage - !surge [*/Table Name/*] Optional arguments - --tides allows you to change whether to use a d10 or d20 based on the Tides of Chaos ability. --hide whisper the result to the GM only. This is good if you have some surges that aren't immediately obvious to the caster that you might not want the player to see. Here's an example of how I'm currently using it in my game as a macro on the caster's sheet, set as a token action. !surge [WildMagicSurges] --hide ?{Tides of Chaos Used?|No, |Yes,--tides} Without --hide Cabages: Wild magic begins to surge around you and... Caster is rumored to have placed a huge bounty on his own head With --hide Cabages: Wild magic begins to surge around you and... ...something begins to happen! (From Cabages):   Any missile striking caster is 10% likely to be just an illusion No surge: Cabages: Wild magic begins to surge around you and... ...fizzles to nothing.(13) Note: The extra number at the end is the result of the roll as requested by my players. They said they like to see if it was close or not. This is the first script I've written from scratch by myself. I started it specific to my campaign and players and it's kind of evolved since then so there may be better options out there, but I was proud enough of this one that I thought I'd take a shot at posting it and see what the community thought.  Let me know if you end up trying it out, I'd love to hear what you guys think could be improved!
I'm curious if you are using a homebrew rule for tides of chaos cause your d10 thing is new to me and I main a wild sorc.  
DM Eddie said: I'm curious if you are using a homebrew rule for tides of chaos cause your d10 thing is new to me and I main a wild sorc.   Hah, you know what, I completely forgot that's not RAW. Yes, in order to have more fun with the wild magic we play with the idea that Tides of Chaos kind of super charges the caster and doubles the likely hood of a surge occuring
RAW tides of chaos skips the d20 and you roll immediately the d100 on the table and surge away.  As my main sorcerer, I rarely have to roll a d20 because I use tides every turn.