Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Option for closed Areas to be Dark in Daylight Mode.

Hey Guys, I came across something that kinda bothers me. Recently I am creating a new campaign for my friends and I drew the lines for the walls on the "dynamic lighting" layer only to find out that even though I have not placed any light sources inside of one room, it`s still completely bright on daylight mode. As you can see the purple lines are for the walls and the yellow ones for the doors or other things that can be opend to enter the room. So when I turn on daylight mode, the room below is brightly lit and thats fine because it has a window. If I pull a token with normal vision into the room above though, it still has full vision even though the rooms is closed off. Ofc there will be light when the player says "I open the door" and I remove the yellow line so he can enter. But as soon as the door is shut again, it should be dark in my opinion (unless he uses a spell or torch).  I know some of you might say, "but dude daylight mode is supposed to make everything on the map visible" but here I disagree. Surely I could just turn daylight mode off. But then everything is dark, even the outside. The solution that I used to use for this was putting "invisible" light sources into the windows to emulate the daylight but I also had to place these all around the house (in this case, it could be entrances to caves or whatever) and this becomes problematic as soon as the players spend a bit more time in the area, because then I have to handpick all of these sources and turn the light off for each of them which takes way too long. I know some people might say, "most of the characters have spells, torches etc anyway, why bother???" but while playing over the past years, we often had situations where someone was restrained or had not torches left and so on. Also, I like the idea that someone has to use a spell or torch first to see if something important or valuable or even a thread maybe is inside of a room/place. Entering a dark area without vision should be not that easy. Maybe there is a nice item the player could find, but he can not because he simply can`t see it. I hope you understand what I mean, and maybe this "problem" is bothering some of you guys too.  If so, pls leave some up-votes so this will be seen and handled by Roll20. I mean, the thing is called "dynamic lighting", it´s not very dynamic though, that closed of places are bright inside. :P I am looking forward for your answers. Pls excuse my english, it`s not my mothertongue. ^^'
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .