Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Help with looking.

Hey just need some help as im looking through the market place. do all assets have a tag?, cause i wanna know if i look for tokens i wont be missing out on any potential gems, cause they weren't tagged.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
They're all tagged, though the search can be frustrating sometimes.

Edited 1619651293
Gold
Forum Champion
Yeah, you'll be missing out on hidden gems. It is inevitable. I have a "completist" tendency-personality myself. Spent many-hours combing through the Marketplace (Marketplace search) and through my Library (in-game art search). Constantly discovering previously-unseen art packs. Regularly finding items that come up under 1 tag, that never came up before under a different tag that also would've fit for that asset (art-piece). The only way to kind-of keep up 100%, is watch the Marketplace New Releases that come out every week, and look at all of them. That's after you catch up on purusing the 6+ years of backcatalog. It's voluminous.  Another good entree' to discover the unfound is to find your favorite STYLE of art, then identify 1-2-3-several Artists who produce that style. Then click on each of those Artists' Names and look at all of their product catalog on here.  Find their back-packs that had different Tags that you didn't think of searching for, and-or which failed to have the Tags that you'd tend to search for. Some of the very old Marketplace packs don't have Tags at all. I think the modern art items have a few (3?) tags each, and should also pick-up from the Pack's title, the Artist's name, and each Asset's name-title should also function as an additional Tag(s) word(s). Obviously depending on vocabulary, synonyms, spellings, and lack of standardization, there is lingering confusion and failure to group like-items. For example searching for "Animated" will not necessarily bring up every animation. Even searching for "Dragon" won't positively bring up every single dragon every time (some that appear to be dragons, may lack the dragon tag, they used up their tags on other terms, or they mistagged). The Library search in-game may or may not be currently Bugged and-or lacks a feature, it tends to pick up items from Tags but sometimes fails to pick up the Title (Name) of the item. Good luck in your search!  If it's anything specific, feel free to send me a PM what you're looking for & I'll let you know if I've seen it, or if I know an alternative tag word, or if I know an artist who sells that type on Marketplace.
thanks for the advise ive found gabriel pickard to be my go to guy for assets, though for decor and tokens im still looking around. as well as more out there art packs, like different realms and monsters.
Elemental Flame
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I find when I am searching for something I try misspelling it too. I know that in my early sets I misspelled Griffon as Griffin. But I've also seen Gryphon and such too. Once you find an artist you like with a style that works, I find myself always checking their store page. Gabriel is my go to for maps with a few other artists whose assets blend well with his. I check his page often just to make sure I didn't miss anything. The search feature has gotten a lot better and it's picking up way more than it did before an upgrade that occurred maybe a year ago?
aye ty for the advise, any good token and asset makers out there?
Wordforger
Plus
Marketplace Creator
What style of tokens are you looking for?  Some, like me, do more character portraits, but there are may that specialize in top down as well.  There's also a variety of art styles to choose from.  Do you prefer more realistic/painterly, 3D modeled, or stylized/cartoonish?
not a fan of 3d, but prefer 2d, but not cartoony. like devin north and teve prescott are good examples of what i like, and i use tokens for npcs and villains.
Wordforger
Plus
Marketplace Creator
So...  Top-down and fits with Devin Night's style.  Ok, Jan Loos and Venatus Maps seem like they might fit.
Xenobunny
Marketplace Creator
To fill ya in on how creators tag. Rather, how the rules are structured currently for uploads. Each art asset image is limited to 3 tags total. In the case of character token art a common tag combination may be (humanoid)(orc)(monster) for a title such as Orc_fighter_01. The packs themselves can hold up to 5 custom tags total I believe and will also tie to the search engine via roll20's "specified tags" which I are the generic category tags such as "is an art pack", "is traditional media", "is for dnd5e". The 5 custom tags will try to be specific search terms that are broad in order to cater to a search hierarchy. So for a character token pack of orcs you might get the tag order: orcs, monsters, creatures, npc, fantasy. The last 2 tag terms are the point where I struggle to think of something more specific to tag with, so I swing broad :P. Happy shopping

Edited 1619803245
Gold
Forum Champion
Xenobunny said: Each art asset image is limited to 3 tags total. In the case of character token art a common tag combination may be (humanoid)(orc)(monster) for a title such as Orc_fighter_01. May I use your example terms to tell the Bug that I've run into sometimes? (Needs research / troubleshooting, I think). If I buy the above (Xenobunny Example) art pack from Marketplace, Go into my game, to Library, trying to find 1 of the orcs I just bought, the exact one I wanted for my NPC, the one Orc that I saw in the marketplace preview that made me want to buy that art-pack, and I remember seeing the name of it when I bought it: I run a search for something like Xenobunny fighter .  It doesn't come up (often/sometimes).  Have to search for Xenobunny orc  or Xenobunny humanoid (tagged words) to find that orc-fighter in My Purchases library. It feels like (unproven, needs testing), it feels like the search picks up all the Tags but can miss words that are in the Title(s).
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I am going to give a big recommendation for Jan Loos! Huge fan of his work, and it fits perfect with my Devin Night collection!