Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is it possible to have triggers on maps?

When players explore a dungeon, at certain locations on the map stuff is supposed to happen: Maybe they stepped on a trap, or they came into view of a group of monsters. What frequently happens to me on Roll20 is that the players move their tokens at a certain speed, and by the time I can tell them that something happens, they are already past the point, and I need to ask everybody to stop or even backtrack. Is there any way in Roll20 to stop player movement automatically at a map location? I know I can use "Dynamic Lighting Barriers Restrict Movement", but as these barriers also restrict view, they are very visible. I would need at least a "transparent" barrier option to stop the player from moving further without making the location too obvious. Does that exist? Or is there some other sort of trigger I could put on my map?
API called It's A Trap
I would say you have 2 options.  Either you use it's a trap! script or you use the udl windows script (or doorknocker) that allows transparent walls restricting movements but not the view. 
Keep everything on the GM layer and put a graphic like an exclamation mark where you want players to stop and let you know they are at a point of interest (or just a check point). If you explain the checkpoints are there not only because there might be something of interest, but also to keep from "runaway" exploration by any one player, they should not get suspicious of every checkpoint. I don't need to use this system, though. My players are very good and let me know right away if they see something - stopping and waiting. I also watch everyone moving and tell them to stop if anyone gets to a point of interest.
Tokenlock