Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macro to help my GM roll saves

I play a character (5e) that requires my GM to make saves often. I'm trying to make it easy for them by creating a macro that whispers them a button which then rolls a specific save for the token I targeted. So: I click/run the macro Macro asks me to choose a target I click on the token of the monster that needs to make the save Macro whispers a button to the GM GM clicks the button, it rolls the save using the sheet whisper settings I got as far as this: /w gm [Roll Str Save](~target|target|npc_str_save) That doesn't work as well as I want as it requires GM to actually choose a target. I understand what's happening - the target selection resolves within the action - but I can't figure out how to fix it. Neither of us has API access. I'm stumped and I'm hoping the macro gurus in this forum can help! Thank you

Edited 1622059930
I don't think there's a way around your GM clicking on the token. What you're looking for is this: /w gm [Roll Str Save](~@{target|character_name}|npc_str_save) The issue is the strength save roll attribute contains this: @{wtype}&{template:simple} {{rname=^{strength-save-u}}} {{mod=@{strength_save_bonus}}} {{r1=[[@{d20}+@{strength_save_bonus}@{pbd_safe}]]}} {{normal=1}} {{global=@{global_save_mod}}} @{charname_output} Which requires a selected token. I'd suggest your GM use an Ability Check / Save chat menu instead. He'll still have to click on a token to roll a save, but this should make it easier. Have your GM save this as a Collection Macro and show as a token action. To save space I named mine with the 'Game Die' emoji ''. /w gm &{template:npcaction} &{noerror}{{rname=@{selected|npc_name}}}{{name=Ability Rolls, Saves, & Skill Checks}}{{description=**Abilities** [**Str @{selected|strength}** *(@{selected|strength_mod})*](~selected|npc_str) | [save](~selected|npc_str_save) [**Dex @{selected|dexterity}** *(@{selected|dexterity_mod})*](~selected|npc_dex) | [save](~selected|npc_dex_save) [**Con @{selected|constitution}** *(@{selected|constitution_mod})*](~selected|npc_con) | [save](~selected|npc_con_save) [**Int @{selected|intelligence}** *(@{selected|intelligence_mod})*](~selected|npc_int) | [save](~selected|npc_int_save) [**Wis @{selected|wisdom}** *(@{selected|wisdom_mod})*](~selected|npc_wis) | [save](~selected|npc_wis_save) [**Cha @{selected|charisma}** *(@{selected|charisma_mod})*](~selected|npc_cha) | [save](~selected|npc_cha_save) **Skills** [Acrobatics](~selected|npc_Acrobatics) | [Animal Handling](~selected|npc_Animal_Handling) | [Arcana](~selected|npc_Arcana) | [Athletics](~selected|npc_Athletics) | [Deception](~selected|npc_Deception) | [History](~selected|npc_History) | [Insight](~selected|npc_Insight) | [Intimidation](~selected|npc_Intimidation) | [Investigation](~selected|npc_Investigation) | [Medicine](~selected|npc_Medicine) | [Nature](~selected|npc_Nature) | [Perception](~selected|npc_Perception) | [Performance](~selected|npc_Performance) | [Persuasion](~selected|npc_Persuasion) | [Religion](~selected|npc_Religion) | [Sleight of Hand](~selected|npc_Sleight_of_Hand) | [Stealth](~selected|npc_stealth) | [Survival](~selected|npc_survival)}}
Check out this post by Oosh I now use this instead when working with my games.  There are also other posts about using Stylus to format the output and make it look nice that I don't have time to provide links to at the moment. Teach your DM how to use those maybe?  IMO, its way better.
Oh and more info here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8349326/npc-statblock-chat-menu-for-d-and-d-5e-sheet-no-api-required/?pageforid=8673308#post-8673308" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8349326/npc-statblock-chat-menu-for-d-and-d-5e-sheet-no-api-required/?pageforid=8673308#post-8673308</a> I probably have not provided this information in a consolidated manner, you'll want to look around. I use the NPC Stat block, and spells block and one for actions to control my NPCs.
Here's a link to my universal NPC Stat Block . I'll update the post with this Ability Check / Save menu as well. If you want a prettier color-coded version: /w gm &amp;{template:npcaction} &amp;{noerror}{{rname=@{selected|npc_name}}}{{name=Ability Rolls, Saves, &amp; Skill Checks}}{{description=**Abilities** [**Str @{selected|strength}** *(@{selected|strength_mod})*](~selected|npc_str" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: red;) | [save](~selected|npc_str_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: red;) [**Dex @{selected|dexterity}** *(@{selected|dexterity_mod})*](~selected|npc_dex" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: darkorange;) | [save](~selected|npc_dex_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: darkorange;) [**Con @{selected|constitution}** *(@{selected|constitution_mod})*](~selected|npc_con" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: gold;) | [save](~selected|npc_con_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: gold;) [**Int @{selected|intelligence}** *(@{selected|intelligence_mod})*](~selected|npc_int" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: green;) | [save](~selected|npc_int_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: green;) [**Wis @{selected|wisdom}** *(@{selected|wisdom_mod})*](~selected|npc_wis" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: blue;) | [save](~selected|npc_wis_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: blue;) [**Cha @{selected|charisma}** *(@{selected|charisma_mod})*](~selected|npc_cha" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: purple;) | [save](~selected|npc_cha_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: purple;) **Skills** [Acrobatics](~selected|npc_Acrobatics" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: darkorange;) | [Animal Handling](~selected|npc_Animal_Handling" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: blue;) | [Arcana](~selected|npc_Arcana" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: green;) | [Athletics](~selected|npc_Athletics" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: red;) | [Deception](~selected|npc_Deception" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: purple;) | [History](~selected|npc_History" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: green;) | [Insight](~selected|npc_Insight" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: blue;) | [Intimidation](~selected|npc_Intimidation" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: purple;) | [Investigation](~selected|npc_Investigation" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: green;) | [Medicine](~selected|npc_Medicine" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: blue;) | [Nature](~selected|npc_Nature" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: green;) | [Perception](~selected|npc_Perception" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: blue;) | [Performance](~selected|npc_Performance" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: purple;) | [Persuasion](~selected|npc_Persuasion" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: purple;) | [Religion](~selected|npc_Religion" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: green;) | [Sleight of Hand](~selected|npc_Sleight_of_Hand" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: darkorange;) | [Stealth](~selected|npc_stealth" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: darkorange;) | [Survival](~selected|npc_survival" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: blue;)}} Or all black text: /w gm &amp;{template:npcaction} &amp;{noerror}{{rname=@{selected|npc_name}}}{{name=Ability Rolls, Saves, &amp; Skill Checks}}{{description=**Abilities** [**Str @{selected|strength}** *(@{selected|strength_mod})*](~selected|npc_str" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [save](~selected|npc_str_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) [**Dex @{selected|dexterity}** *(@{selected|dexterity_mod})*](~selected|npc_dex" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [save](~selected|npc_dex_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) [**Con @{selected|constitution}** *(@{selected|constitution_mod})*](~selected|npc_con" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [save](~selected|npc_con_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) [**Int @{selected|intelligence}** *(@{selected|intelligence_mod})*](~selected|npc_int" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [save](~selected|npc_int_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) [**Wis @{selected|wisdom}** *(@{selected|wisdom_mod})*](~selected|npc_wis" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [save](~selected|npc_wis_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) [**Cha @{selected|charisma}** *(@{selected|charisma_mod})*](~selected|npc_cha" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [save](~selected|npc_cha_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) **Skills** [Acrobatics](~selected|npc_Acrobatics" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Animal Handling](~selected|npc_Animal_Handling" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Arcana](~selected|npc_Arcana" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Athletics](~selected|npc_Athletics" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Deception](~selected|npc_Deception" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [History](~selected|npc_History" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Insight](~selected|npc_Insight" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Intimidation](~selected|npc_Intimidation" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Investigation](~selected|npc_Investigation" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Medicine](~selected|npc_Medicine" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Nature](~selected|npc_Nature" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Perception](~selected|npc_Perception" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Performance](~selected|npc_Performance" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Persuasion](~selected|npc_Persuasion" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Religion](~selected|npc_Religion" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Sleight of Hand](~selected|npc_Sleight_of_Hand" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Stealth](~selected|npc_stealth" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;) | [Survival](~selected|npc_survival" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: black;)}} Or one with the nice pink font so it's easy to tell they're all links: /w gm &amp;{template:npcaction} &amp;{noerror}{{rname=@{selected|npc_name}}}{{name=Ability Rolls, Saves, &amp; Skill Checks}}{{description=**Abilities** [**Str @{selected|strength}** *(@{selected|strength_mod})*](~selected|npc_str" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [save](~selected|npc_str_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) [**Dex @{selected|dexterity}** *(@{selected|dexterity_mod})*](~selected|npc_dex" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [save](~selected|npc_dex_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) [**Con @{selected|constitution}** *(@{selected|constitution_mod})*](~selected|npc_con" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [save](~selected|npc_con_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) [**Int @{selected|intelligence}** *(@{selected|intelligence_mod})*](~selected|npc_int" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [save](~selected|npc_int_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) [**Wis @{selected|wisdom}** *(@{selected|wisdom_mod})*](~selected|npc_wis" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [save](~selected|npc_wis_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) [**Cha @{selected|charisma}** *(@{selected|charisma_mod})*](~selected|npc_cha" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [save](~selected|npc_cha_save" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) **Skills** [Acrobatics](~selected|npc_Acrobatics" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Animal Handling](~selected|npc_Animal_Handling" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Arcana](~selected|npc_Arcana" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Athletics](~selected|npc_Athletics" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Deception](~selected|npc_Deception" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [History](~selected|npc_History" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Insight](~selected|npc_Insight" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Intimidation](~selected|npc_Intimidation" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Investigation](~selected|npc_Investigation" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Medicine](~selected|npc_Medicine" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Nature](~selected|npc_Nature" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Perception](~selected|npc_Perception" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Performance](~selected|npc_Performance" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Persuasion](~selected|npc_Persuasion" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Religion](~selected|npc_Religion" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Sleight of Hand](~selected|npc_Sleight_of_Hand" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Stealth](~selected|npc_stealth" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;) | [Survival](~selected|npc_survival" style="background: none; background-color: transparent; border: none; padding: 0px; text-decoration: none; color: #ce0f69;)}}

Edited 1622106982
Thanks for all the info everyone. I did give my GM helper save macros, but it still requires GM to do these everytime I do something which requires a monster save (which is 1-2 times per turn): GM has to select the right monster GM has to click/select the right save (OR) eyeball the right save Now of course GM can do all the above (and does), but GM has plenty to do already. If I can remove the need for the two actions, that would add up over the course of combat. Is there a way to use token_id or something similar?
Love these though, will definitely use them the games I GM! Jarren K. said: Here's a link to my universal NPC Stat Block . I'll update the post with this Ability Check / Save menu as well.

Edited 1622122477
Erudo said: Is there a way to use token_id or something similar? Unfortunately not that I know of, for the reason I mentioned above. (The issue is the strength save roll attribute requires a selected token.) The other idea would be to have a short drop-down query with just the 6 Saving Throw calls, but that won't work either because of the Roll20 Order of Operations . Your GM could create 6 Collection macros (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha) and set them up as 'Show as Token Action' and not visible to players, so they'd just have to click on the token and then the Token Action button for the appropriate save. But if they already have a lot of token actions that can take up a bit of room.&nbsp; If that's the case then they may want to consider using Stylus to save space on their screen. Here's the Stylus Code I'm currently using for the Token Bar: #secondary-toolbar{ &nbsp; &nbsp; position: fixed; top: 255px !important; &nbsp; &nbsp; left: 4px !important; &nbsp; &nbsp; width: auto; &nbsp; &nbsp; box-shadow: none; &nbsp; &nbsp; border-radius: 3px; &nbsp; &nbsp; background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.44) !important; } #secondary-toolbar .tokenactions .btn, .btn.btn-default { &nbsp; &nbsp; display: flex; &nbsp; &nbsp; align-items: center; &nbsp; &nbsp; padding: 0px 3px 0px 3px; &nbsp; &nbsp; margin-top: 2px; &nbsp; &nbsp; margin-bottom: 0px; &nbsp; &nbsp; margin-right: 1px; &nbsp; &nbsp; text-align: center; } #secondary-toolbar li { &nbsp; &nbsp; border-right: 0px; }