Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
D&D 2024 has arrived! Pre-order the new core rulebooks now and get an exclusive pre-order bonus for free!
Create a free account

[LFP] [D&D 5e] [Sundays, 2:30 MDT] Heretics & Divination (homebrew campaign)

Edited 1622996311
Hello, thank you for showing an interest. I'm an experienced DM (just shy of 10 years). I've run many genres of tabletop RPGs, and often build a unique mechanical system for my games, but most everyone on this site seems to prefer 5e, and I have no problem with that. This will be my 2nd campaign on roll20, I've accumulated a few marketplace add ons, and I'm willing to put in hundreds of hours into a campaign that will challenge us, lead to good roleplay moments, and can create a collective art project. This particular campaign is based on an idea of good vs. evil, and I intend to reference some religious texts, and really try to do the subject justice in that sense. So, being open minded, and non judgmental is more crucial in a game like this than usual. I respect all faiths (or a lack thereof), and I genuinely want to encourage dialogue, and to provoke thought on some philosophical subjects. That being said, though my cinematics and my plot points might be heavy, and/or dark, I myself am very light-hearted and demand fun to be had at my table. I want a lot of players to allow for shifting schedules, unexpected absences and such, so that we can play as regularly as possible on the date and time we agree to. My schedule is less than flexible, but I can do most evenings, and all day on Sunday. I'm open to many thoughts and ideas about this campaign so I'm going to have a session 0 on July 4th at 2:30 MDT (unless that has to adjusted to work with our schedules). The "elevator pitch" for the premise is as follows... ~~~~~  It's been eons since the land of Ivalia has seen a miracle, and many have lost faith in The Divine. Though the church still thrives, and its clergy are still well respected, many of the populace attend service as a matter of routine, and out of tradition, rather than true faith. In some places, like the small village from which our players will begin this tale, there are foul, and corrupt forces which run the clergy. The corruption seems to stem from the ancient tomes of the Holy Ones, even as the Divine is spelled out in the very same text.  Dichotomy is created, lines are drawn, and the forces of good and evil rise once again to fight amongst the realm of mortal men and women.  Visions are given to the players that a Messiah has been born, and will lead us all into a place of harmony, and of prosperity. Others are given visions of their own, and will actively work against any such prophecy. Such villains will lay down their lives so that their own dark forces will reign for the next epoch. Others seek only wealth, and personal gain in amongst the chaos of such ideals.  How it all results is up to anyone and everyone who is willing to raise a weapon and to fight, for whatever it is they deem worth fighting for. 
Hey! This game sounds super interesting, I'd love to opine about the nature of Good and Evil both in character and out with ya! I'll send ya a PM with more info and character concepts if you'd like, or we can just talk via Discord. My discord is WeevilKnievel#2327, feel free to send me a friend request etc.
Hey, this game sounds great. I've been playing 5e for a couple years now, here's my discord if you would like to PM me. JohnnySweatpants#1646
Sounds interesting. I've actually been kicking around ideas for playing a Cleric or Paladin, so I'd be interested to hear more about your mythos. The lack of "miracles" has me thinking divine magic has been taking a bit of a break in this setting?
Hi Austin, and Brian, but it seems we have enough people to fill the seats for this campaign. I appreciate your interest, let's see if we find each other for the next campaign.